300tdi Defender 110 started cutting out

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to land rovers (less than a year) and to this forum.

I have a Defender 110 with a 300tdi in it, everything was working fine until it cut out whilst driving yesterday, It started up right away and then cut out after 30 seconds or so. I initially thought it ran out of diesel as it was low (it wasn't that low), anyhow I filled it up with another 5 litres and it started up fine only to cut out again after another minute or so.

Called the RAC for vehicle recovery and their mechanic said it was the 'fuel stop solenoid' that had given in...there is definitely current in the cable, if the solenoid is disconnected, the engine doesn't start, when reconnected, the engine starts but after a few revs (30-40 seconds) it shuts off again, fuel starvation is obvious he said but I just want to know if that is the case or not because just by reading a few posts online it seems that if there was a problem with the solenoid then the engine does not start at all....

May I point out that the electrical wiring on the vehicle is in a pretty bad state, most of the things work (no heating, radio etc) but there are cables everywhere, don't know what they do, have lots of buttons inside too but they don't seem to do anything.

Cheers guys, would appreciate any help.

Harris

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

This Defender is a 1989, originally a 2.5 d or v8 (so i'm told), have no idea when it was converted to a 300tdi...I had the dash apart for some other reasons not too long ago and I didn't see the 'spider' unit anywhere, I very much doubt it has an immobiliser since I just have a key to start it.

An update to the situation, I've checked the stop valve solenoid and it definitely is working as I can hear it move and the current doesn't seem to be interrupted either.

I have discovered the fuel filter had air in it so I blead it from the thing at the bottom...the defender starts up, runs a little then turns off again, I check the fuel filter and it's got air in it again...I opened it all up, everything seemed to be fine, put it back together again and the same problem, I thought there mght be air in the system so repeated this process of starting and it turning off, bleeding the air about ten times and then I gave up...all the hoses connected to the fuel filter seem to be fine, they are a bit stiff though but don't seem to be broken or cracked....

It could be air getting into the fuel pipes, or maybe it's the "spider" http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86

does the engine cut out straight away, like you've turned the ignition off, or does it fade out like you've run out of fuel?

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

The engine does not cut out like it turns off with the key but it rather gasps for fuel and dies out in a cranky manner.

Probably a corroded fuel line or similar drawing air in then.

Check all rubber hoses for splits/perishing, and any hard lines for corrosion, especially at the top of the tank.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I think there is definitely air being sucked into the fuel line from somewhere, I have decided to change the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter and hopefully that should do the trick.

I was thinking of using an 8mm plastic/rubber tube for it unless you guys suggest something else...