Toylander style LR: how should I power it?

o_teunico

Hi all,

One of the crazy ideas/vapour builds that I´m seriously considering making real is a 1/2 size Land Rover.

After some days of thinking I have decided that I will use real Series parts (at zero cost as I have them in the barn) such as wheels/tyres, hubs/stub axles and maybe halfshafts to create a 1/2 size Roadless Traction Fores Rover.

It will have no suspensión, but a pivoting/twisting chassis to give good axle articulation and steering.

It will be used for playing (mainly), for towing the caravan (as a powered trolley) and as a mobile workshop (generator, air compressor, welder, flood light...)

Only thing I don´t know is hot to power it. I can have acces to the following.

-Cordless drill. 12V, 550rpm, 2.5 Amp drawing. Got two of them.

-12V 6A power station

p6041559.jpg

-Santana Series IIA-III-IIIA 12V starter motors

-Four stroke petrol mower engine

-Two stroke chainsaw

-220VAC driller. Various, from 500 to 750 Watts.

-Tons of pedal bike parts

I first thought about 220VAC drillers+generator, but don´t think it will be safe.

Any previous experiences with powered small Landys?

I really liked the one that Gremlin did.

One sketch

halfforestrover.jpg

Ok i can answer you then!

Do not use real land rover bits, they are too heavy. The more weight you add the more power you will need to drive the thing. If you are stuck on that idea then petrol power would be better. Remember bigger heavier vehicle will need bigger heavier batteries to get some sort of play time with it.

Cordless drill motors will not cut it on a heavy vehicle (or towing a caravan!!!), they are good upgrades for the plastic toy ride on ones. Toylander come in on the heavy weight side, mine is around the 90kg mark, due to the suspension.

My tip would be to keep it simple, i complicated mine by making the suspension work.

But it seems with all the stuff you want it to carry you might be better off finding an electric golf cart, or an small electric forklift!

Mine will carry my heavy ass plus my two kids happily (that's around 150-160kgs) It will climb pretty steep hills with the kids (but not with me in it) never tried towing anything with it but i bet it will stall out it i hook it to a caravan!

G

I have seen both go karts and caravan trolleys using cordless drillers, but my "toy" will be extremly heavy compared to those. Driver alone (me) is 110kg, a set of four LR wheels with 6.00x16 mud plugga nearly another 100kg, welder, generator, air compressor, tools...another 100kg. That plus chassis and body it will reach nearly half a ton! 5km/h will do for me, so speed is not an issue.

As an example, this tank has 16HP engine and weights 500kg

I think I should consider a diesel engine (8 to 12 HP) from one of this, quite easy to obtain in my area

That Jeep is awesome! It even has real axles!

Its a US built kid buggy, pinched those off pirate, all i know is it has zuk axles, quad/atv wheels and tyres, and a 2cyl bike engine, 4 link.......

pinched of pirate here............http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/vehicles-trailers-sale/1054171-mini-jeep-steel-body-1-2-scale-willies.html

axles hp 1972 lj20 not cut rev rotation
t-case lj20 3 speed
driveline hydrolic brakes
full hydro steering
motor honda trx 300
trans married 6 speed manuel auto
king air shocks linked 3/4 heims

Chinesse drill + 500kg = disaster!

Motor and transaxle came from a mobility scooter, i got mine from ebay. It a 230watt with about a 20:1 reduction with free wheel disengagemen(...)Toylander come in on the heavy weight side, mine is around the 90kg mark(...)Mine will carry my heavy ass plus my two kids happily (that's around 150-160kgs) It will climb pretty steep hills with the kids (but not with me in it)P4220076.jpg

According to the above I will need at least 500W for using in flat surfaces.

If you look at ebay there are several motors which will suit your requirement, what is also important is gearing. On my toylander at first i went with a direct drive with the above motor, and 15inch dia wheel and lyres, it was ok but was too fast for the kids, fun for the adults. It would not climb up a slight ramp as it was over geared, but was very good on the flat. I then geared it down again at a 2:1 with chains.

From my tread you can see what i did. Now its much better and it has surprised me at how much the little 230watt motor can pull. I think it would drive a 500 kg wt if geared right (mind you, not fast)

For what you want to do i would look at one of the large mobility scooter units, or a small powered pallet truck/forklift traction motor.

G

Have found this Brand new motor (eBay)

4082_3.jpg

Prepared for 6mm chain, 36V 500W 2500rpm. Nearly 50 Eur. plus p&p.

I have remembered that my sister in law had a (quite fast) small electric scooter some years ago. It must be somewhere in the barn. Will try to locate it next weekend.

I have found the scooter (unfortunatelly battery charger is missing) but have been too busy welding a pair of ramps and servicing the Fiat. Next time I will dismantle it to see what it has. Motor looks like the eBay one above.

p6091562.jpg