Things I learnt

Hi Guys I just wanted to share some things I found out while making changes to my own TD5 Defender so it will give others something to think about.

EGR blanking Kit;

Seems to be a little quicker after passing mid rev's but didn't notice anything low down, not sure about how it will affect exhaust emmissions but a cheap mod and easy diy.

Gaz Suspension 2inch lift kit.

I liked this mod only because the ride feels an awful lot better than the origional setup, The centre of gravity being raised a little does not seem to have put out handling going around roundabouts it is a little harsh on some road surfaces (potholes)but that is without a load

Bucket Seats.

One of the best mods I did for pleasure of driving. Much more comfortable over standard seats as I drive the landy to work every day and use as my only transport. Drawbacks are it's harder to get in and out of the landy and you have to lose the ability of easy access to the battery under the passenger seat, which I resolved with a anderson plug. Hindsight get comfortable seats but without the high sides on them comfort, easy to get in and out but still have to do anderson plug.

Racing Harness used with internal roll bar

Do not fit these unless you have a roll bar. If you just try to fit using a harness bar and you turn over the roof will comedown and you will be unable to lower yourself in the seat unlike an inerita belt replacing the pillars with your head also you cannot look out the side windows, reach the ashtry or reach the handbrake while your strapped in.

Digital Engine Monitor.

Great piece of kit attached to the block high up near the head and it sits there telling me what temp the engine is getting to uphill, underload etc. etc I bought mine off a guy from America does the same job as the more well known brands but half the price.

Anyway as I said just some of my thoughs on changes I made

Digital Engine Monitor.

Great piece of kit attached to the block high up near the head and it sits there telling me what temp the engine is getting to uphill, underload etc. etc I bought mine off a guy from America does the same job as the more well known brands but half the price.

Is that not just "a temperature gauge"? :huh:

Not really, it monitors the engines metal temperature instead of coolant temperature, it should detect engine overheating caused by low coolant, engine coolant leaks, radiator blockages etc. which I think an ordinary Temp gauge will not. I like it too because it also has an alarm build in that is fairly loud and can be heard over the radio if the temp goes beyond a certain point, which you can set. To be honest it gives me extra piece of mind. It was only €50 as far as I can remember and easy fitted so why not….

Td5 temp gauges are very good at telling lies. They don't detect overheating when there is a loss/low coolant until it is way too late (I know this from experience) As for the Harnesses- when I competed, I had harnesses BUT I kept the inertia belts too for road use! Steve