Stick weld new long range tank for Defender 110

New to this forum. Have any one attempted to build his own long range fuel tank for a Defender 110 1996 model under the driver seat? I want to make one from mild steel (2 or 4 mm thick) and weld it via an inverter machine (DC machine also called a stick welder) or build it from fiberglass. Not prepared to pay the ridiculous shop prices. Did considered plastic tanks inside the vehicle – maybe last option – but it takes up valuable packing space. I do have several Jerry cans that can go up on the roof rack but paid too much import duty returning back to South Africa via Botswana as fuel is cheaper in Botswana then South Africa! I do have a small additional tank at the back right hand side but would love to increase the carry capacity. There are several reasons for this DIY tank: as mentioned import tax on fuel ( as long as the fuel is not contained in a movable container, you do not need to pay import tax), carry 100 liters of fuel in Jerry cans on the roof rack is a problem – weight and gravity. Need sufficient amount of fuel between refueling stations as driving in thick Kalahari sand is not the best for fuel consumption!. Another problem is reliability of delivery to refueling stations. Any advice?

Only ever made tanks in aluminium for race cars but 4mm in steel sounds hugely thick and will be enormously heavy. Can you not use a 90 tank under the drivers seat? I have this under the seat in my 110 as I have LPG in the back. The 90 tank was actually not very expensive to buy

You got caught at a border crossing then ?I wasn't bothered at Martins Drift.

When I went into the CKGR a couple of years ago. I had no fuel problems at att. I filled the tank at Mopipi and the jerry cans. I only carry 40 liters on the top. Still had plenty of fuel left when I came out.

What about a front wing tank. That way you keep the valuable storage space under the drivers seat.

Or as zoltan say a 90 tank.

Camel Trophy Defenders used a second tank under the driver's seat. It was the MoD underseat fill type. I have two of these fitted to my 109 in addition to the standard rear tank. One of these from an 88 or 109 GS/FFR will fit a 110 3-door, but not a station wagon because of the latter's lateral beam and second row foot well, but I believe a 109 ambulance's tanks will fit. You would need to fit appropriate outriggers to mount it.