Flashing odometre?

Blanco

Following recent alternator trouble, I was on the motorway and driving on the last dregs of the battery, by the time I got off and into Norauto (sort of French Halfords) the dashboard had completely shut down, clocks, warning lights, absolutely everything. A new battery sorted the problem and got me home but now the LCD panel that records the kilometres just flashes all the time, I have tried plugging in my old Nanocom one to see if there is a related fault code but if there is I can't find it, I have cleared the fault codes that were on the ECU, but its still flashing away. Anyone come across this before?? All suggestions gratefully received.

Yes. From memory it shows a mismatch between the odometer reading and the mileage reading stored in the BCU. It normally happens as an alert that a new odo has been fitted and the figures don't match, but it could be a by-product of your electrical issues if communications were lost when you are driving. There is a process to re-sync the two (the odo reads the mileage out of the BCU) but it is many years since I did it and I can't recall if it is pressing 8 buttons standing on your head and twiddling your left ear, or whether you need a diagnostic computer - I think probably the latter. It'll probably need to be something better than a Nanocom though.

It might tell you the procedure in the RAVE manuals but I don't have them installed at present.