DIY Non LR Tracking

Spearos

We all know about how easy it is to set your Defender/Disco/RRC/series tracking with a piece of string or the extending aerial type thingy method, however this is because it seems most poeple are happy with the tracking set 'straight ahead' i.e no toe in or toe out.

My question is, how easy is it to do a car which requires toe in or toe out, using one of the methods above?

I have found this : http://www.crypton.co.za/Tto%20know/Wheel%20Alignment/Wheel%20Alignment%20Simplified.pdf

Now, am I correct in thinking that the table on the third page down has done all the hard work and tells me how many MMs off parallel I need to set the wheels in order to achieve the desired degrees/minutes of toe in toe out?

For example if SWMBO's car has 13" wheels and needs 0.5 degrees (30 minutes) toe in, according to the table I need to set the wheels around 3mm 'in' (off parallel) at the front of the wheel?

Would that be 3mm across the two sides (1.5mm each side) or 3mm either side?

Any advice much appreciated, I have lost all faith in tyre centres etc

We all know about how easy it is to set your Defender/Disco/RRC/series tracking with a piece of string or the extending aerial type thingy method, however this is because it seems most poeple are happy with the tracking set 'straight ahead' i.e no toe in or toe out.

My question is, how easy is it to do a car which requires toe in or toe out, using one of the methods above?

I have found this : http://www.crypton.co.za/Tto%20know/Wheel%20Alignment/Wheel%20Alignment%20Simplified.pdf

Now, am I correct in thinking that the table on the third page down has done all the hard work and tells me how many MMs off parallel I need to set the wheels in order to achieve the desired degrees/minutes of toe in toe out?

For example if SWMBO's car has 13" wheels and needs 0.5 degrees (30 minutes) toe in, according to the table I need to set the wheels around 3mm 'in' (off parallel) at the front of the wheel?

Would that be 3mm across the two sides (1.5mm each side) or 3mm either side?

Any advice much appreciated, I have lost all faith in tyre centres etc

Generally, (apart from in racing circles) toe figures are quoted as "total toe". So 3mm would equate to 1.5mm per wheel.

Contrary to what elbekko says (no offence intended), 3mm is within the realms of "normal" for most vehicles.

Thanks for the info.

Ok moving onto camber... I assume the formula for working out degrees/minutes into mm will be the same for camber, as camber/toe is the 'angle' of the wheel vertically/horizontally respectively? i.e if 0.5 degrees is 3mm of toe on a 13" wheel then 3mm of camber would also equate to 0.5 degrees?