Backwards brakes?

wood-gee

I think I already know the answer to this, but after spending most of the day fitting my front hubs, as I went to fit the brakes I only then noticed that in the parts book the brake back plates have a small rear written by the snail cam side. On that logic, mine are in this case back to front. Does this mean I have to strip the whole lot off again and switch them round?

Cheers

Jake

Not sure what you're asking.

Brakes vary - 88 till 1980, 88 after 1980, LWB - 6 cylinder.

88's to 1980 (in fact right back to 1948) have 10 inch single leading shoe brakes front and back. From about 1950 they have snail adjusters on the leading shoe - which is ALWAYS the front shoe. Put the adjuster on the back and you'll have a very slack pedal and innefficient brakes.

The reason is that the leading shoe (first shoe in roatation after the cylinder)is attracted to the drum by rotation - and hence has to be pulled off to stop it applying itsself. So its fitted with a spring - but the spring will pull the shoe and piston back into the cylinder. Fit an adjuster to prevent this movement and the problem is solved.

The other shoe won't apply itself as the bottom (leading edge) is held firmly onto the bottom post by the lower spring and the banjo and stays in place on its own.

Other systems are different.

It is the single leading shoe type that's on it, and from in that case I have got them backwards; basically was trying to look for an excuse not to have to take them apart again but sounds like I'll have to. Thanks for the detailed reply though and also thanks for the explanation; I'd never thought hard enough about how they worked to grasp the logic behind it. so it's good to finally know!

Swivel hubs are handed, that is how castor angle is set. Castor is what makes the steering self centre.

As best I can remember the oil filler plugs are at the front of the housing.

Actually, they are the same except for the drilling of the filler holes, and the inner housings (chromed chalices) are identical. The castor is set by the bolt hole positions on the main axle case flanges. The brake back plates are handed, though, and snail cam orientation is important for the reasons already given.