Correct panhard/steering angle after extreme lift: my solution

o_teunico

...vapour solution, of course ^_^

What does the LR4x4 comunity think about this idea? An extra front chassis leg welded below the original one. This extra leg will lower both the panhard and steering box mounts, maintaining pahard and steering bar in factory angles after the lift.

hq3v.jpg

Some trimming will be needed if we want to maintain aproach angle.

I am not sure that maintaining the original roll centre height after an extreme lift would be all that desirable.

Perhaps a better vapour method would be to raise the panhard rod mounting at the axle, fit a 101 track rod which has rebuildable ball joints, Fit Disco pitman arm if not already fitted, and get an engineering works such as X ENG to machine you up new longer ball joint pins.

I think the increased bending/breaking forces on the pitman shaft and twisting force on the l/h swivel cast iron steering arm would make this idea a bit dodgy too, but no worries, this is a vapour job so no one will get hurt if anything fails. :unsure:

Anyway, what's all this about extreme lifts? Have they increased the ceiling height of that low bridge/tunnel in your area yet?

I'm with bill on this lowering the roll center is not a good thing for handling I'd be considering lifting the axle side of the panhard to lift the roll centre, lowering the steering box to keep the draglink flat would be all good.... so long at the panhard is parallel with the draglink bump steer will be minimal more than off set by the gain in roll resistance

No Bill, that bridge is still there, but axle winching is legal and will enable me to pass below it.

What are the performance changes provoqued by lowering/lifting the roll centre?

A low roll centre means that the centre of gravity is well above the axis that the sprung mass rolls on its suspension = more body roll.

A high roll centre brings both the roll axis and centre of gravity closer together = less body roll.

The roll centre of a suspension system with panhard rod is generally determined by measuring from ground level up to a position on the panhard rod that is half distance between the panhard rod bushings, so you can see that keeping the roll centre at its original location while raising the centre of gravity of the sprung mass will move the 'centres' further apart thus increasing body roll when cornering, and body roll on side slopes causes the centre of gravity to tilt down past the contact patch of the lower side tyres and the vehicle falls over. Roll centre geometry can also play a part in keeping the inner sidewalls of the tyres away from the upper coil spring buckets during articulation.