Boge unit removal ?

The Saint

My Range rover buggy has really hash suspension on the rear end and has no give at all, going over a speed bump at around 15mph will throw the back end in the air. It has hardly any weight over the back axle and is fitted with what I suspect are +2" heavy duty springs.

I'm not sure if the problem lies with the HD springs or the Boge strut. I would like to remove the Boge strut and see what difference it makes.

I have searched on Goggle and here for a Boge removal guide and all the threads I have found all relate to removing the strut along with the A-frame ball joints for replacement. All I want to do is remove the Boge unit in one piece, in case it has to go back on. Can anybody tell me if I can get the unit off without removing the ball joints? and point me to a guide if possible?

I would probably put one of these on, as it would allow you to unbolt the whole lot:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=170703234424

£90 :o

I'm not going to spend that until I know that the Boge strut is the problem and doesn't need to go back on.

So I need to get the strut out of the ball joint housing. The top end looks easy enough.

Yep, did my 110's boge strut as described above, either a slim spanner to undo the nut or a chisel/hammer to make it undo.

The shaft of the Boge has 2 flats right at the bottom (would need a slim spanner to get at it) am I undoing this or trying to undo a big nut thing that is sitting on top of the ball joint housing?

Thanks. Ok I was wrong, I worked out that the shaft unbolted from the ball joint which was easy enough. Undoing the 4 bolts from the top bracket with 21 years of corrosion is the hard bit. Given up for tonight. There is no room to get a long bar or even a socket on the top bolts. No room to get an angle grinder in there either :(

Try a nut splitter or a junior hacksaw or similar to cut the nuts off or split them with a good cold chisel & decent size hammer. you weren't wrong, the shaft flats are there so a spanner can hold the shaft while the ball joint is screwed in or our of the shaft end, holding the strut shaft prevents it turning & causing unseen damage to the seals in the strut body.

I was wrong in the fact that I said the top end looked easy.

Got the thing off this morning. Only managed to get one bolt out the conventional way, one sheared and got the other two out by pushing my 4" grinder into a little hole and hoping it cut the right thing. Luckily it did.

My rear end has dropped 5mm but pushing down on the rear bumper it feels a lot more supple. Can't wait for it to dry up, so I can take it out for a test.

I think it has Britpart springs (yellow) fitted, so very much doubt that they are intended for the Boge unit.

Taken it out on the roads this afternoon and the difference is amazing. The rear end actually soaks up bumps and is supple. Also responds a lot better under heavy acceleration.