200tdi struggling to start

Thanks maverik. Ill have a look when it goes to the garage. Hope its ok or if it is gasket its just that and not the head that will need skimming. Trying to watch my pennies got loads to buy and no money to buy with

Spare wheel carrier

Spare wheel

Welder

Door seals

Bonnet bulkhead seal ( found this is where water leaks into footwels from. Poors down bonnet gutter and into the engine bay.it of a design flor)

Ill update with what I find out

Thanks again

So have you made any attempt to check for the fuel system pulling in air ? That its lumpy on intial start up - and that its slow to start suggests to me that its bleeding air out of the system.The white smoke can be partially burnt fuel where there isn't enough to fire it properly on each power stroke.That it will start instantly again on restarting tells me that its now bled,so will fire up just how a TDI should.You also don't mention any coolant loss,for white smoke on start up which is caused by injesting coolant you would soon see the level dropping.

If it is fuel running back it could be as simple as tightening one leak off union. Cost - nil. Effort very little,and the checks are good housekeeping anyway....

I haven't checked fuel system yet apart from opening bleed valve on fuel filter and following Haynes manual on bleeding that. All leak off pipes have been replaced. No drop on coolant levels.

Do u mean the fuel leak off unions may be loose and not the pipes?

Can u guess im a newby!

I will check all the leak off unions tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks for all the advice. It pays to ask as I would have just gone and bought a starter motor. Maybe for no reason.

I assumed it was the starter but nw with the other symptoms I think it is something else.

Will keep post updated

Thanks

If you do need a head gasket/skim your in the right place to use drakes, they know engines inside out if your doing the work yourself. Don't forget to get it pressure tested too, it could save you a lot of expense!

Will.

Just an update. Its a problem with fuel. Undid pipe on lift pump to filter. Pumped it expecting fuel to squirt.

Nothing. I then disconnected other pipe and used a priming pump to see if diesel was coming from tank.

Perfect squirts like a water gun.

So looms lkke the lift pump. Maybe when I tested it. It still had a little life.

Also holding accelerator after 30 secs revs drop and eventually stalls.

Just waiting for lift pump to turn up. Let u know on outcome

Thanks. Thats what I learnt. I might end up with loads of possible problem areas to check from the forum but thats what its all about. Starting points for fault finding. Best starting points are usually from peoples past experiences.

I could have just gone with my initial instinct and spend £100 + on a starter motor only to find I still had the problem.

Thanks again.

Oh if anyone has water leaking into there footwells I found where the majority of it comes from. The rain gutter at the back of the bonnetcatches the water which is wat its suppose to do. But it only goes and pours it into either side of the engine bay where the gutter curves down. And onto both footwells.

Might see if there is a seal I can attch to bonnet and gutter.

(Found this when I was changing glow plugs in pouring rain

• 1 year later...

Afternoon chaps and chapesses..

Been reading the forum while taking a temporary break from attempting to solve a starting issue.

The story goes like this.

Was in the garage a few months ago for a transfer box change, the garage indicated that the battery was on its last legs. It was at least 8 years old. It struggled manfully until the recent cold snap then...starting was becoming an issue.

It could be solved by jumping from the auxiliary battery.

Then, one day it failed completely to turn the engine over. The driver kept trying until smoke was seen in the passenger footwell.

From then its got worse and worse.

New battery fitted this week and the first morning started fine. At end of working day, started but slowly. Drove 27 miles home. An hour later started perfectly. Drove 2 miles, switched it off waited ten minutes, and then nothing. Ignition lights and day running lights came on with ignition. Tried to start, all lights off, as if battery completely flat.

However, would not start when attached to auxiliary battery either. Still nothing on the starter.

As a side note I had noticed that the ammeter was reading higher than it had when the engine was running.

Managed to get it bump started down a hill, drove two miles home, and still nothing. Following morning completely dead again although the things running from the auxiliary battery all function.

Thought turned to solenoid, or wiring. main cables, 5 of them, all slightly loose on solenoid. Tried to tighten, wouldn't. Changed nut just in case, still turning.

Would suggest solenoid is goosed, so changing starter motor....

Right idea?

Cheers

David