this is not logical

DefcoL

Disco 1, M reg with 33x12.5/15

Realy strange thing happened after putting spare on f/n/s after slight misshap in mud run

The steering wheel was now almost upside down..... yes when driving forwards..!!

Checked sumo bars ...not bent wheel still facing same direction.

there is also way to much play in steering so checked for wheel play ..could not feel any.

Have been told that it might be adjustable on s/box via nut on top and also with 'C' spanner

on side of box...

Can any one shed some light on this and how to adjust??

Many thanks

Lawrence

Not wishing to really state the obvious, but you have bent something on the steering linkage quite alot. If the track rod is straight, then check the steering arms connected to it. Did the thing go onto full lock very hard, because if it did the arms connected to the front link could have bent also. Whatever it is I would suggest you find it before you drive it any more, because it is possible (though not inevitable) that something may now be rather weaker than it was, and weaker than it needs to be.

Ian

Disco 1, M reg with 33x12.5/15

Realy strange thing happened after putting spare on f/n/s after slight misshap in mud run

The steering wheel was now almost upside down..... yes when driving forwards..!!

Checked sumo bars ...not bent wheel still facing same direction.

there is also way to much play in steering so checked for wheel play ..could not feel any.

Have been told that it might be adjustable on s/box via nut on top and also with 'C' spanner

on side of box...

Can any one shed some light on this and how to adjust??

Many thanks

Lawrence

To my mind I would be looking to see if it has stripped the splines where the drop arm connects to the steering box. Not sure if this is possible though but could explain change in steering wheel. Some catastrophic force causes the thing to rotate on the splined shaft while under "normal" conditions there is enough grip to make it feel like the steering is OK! Worth a look. Whatever it is it don't sound good...

it sounds like you might have stripped the splines inside the steering box, i did this when my front wheel belted a log realy hard... if you have a different amount of travel in each direction (ie 2 turns one way but only 1.25 turns the other, when starting from straight ahead) then i reckon thats whats happened.

its more likely than stripping the external splines as the shafts are smaller.... if thats the case, its new steering box time.

when i did it i also bent both the track rod and the drag link, bent one of the chrome balls, burst a front shock and trashed the steering damper.. and i wasn't even driving, my ex-girlfriend was.... :(:angry: