205 80 to 235 85 upgrade pictures

ronnie_rotten

Before and after fitting me new boots. Stock suspension at the moment, and a slight trim to the rear arch and front valance removed.

Cheers ryck, was good to meet you and your dad. I only got as far as the services, then decided to fit them there and then! More room in the boot that way...!

Now obviously the speedo is out, I was passing hgvs at '55', but out by how much? Anyone know?

You have a gain of just under 10% will be interested to hear how you get on with the new taller gearing as I am worried about low box now being too high for slow crawly type stuff now as I did the exact same thing with my truck.

Here is a comparison picture of the difference in height from a 235/85 to a 205 standing side by side.

oldtyres012_zps32c29525.jpg

Personally I didn't find any issues, the low box ratio on a discovery is the same as a defender so the shift to 235/85 just brings it inline with the stock defender ability.

On road on steeper main roads you may well find yourself dropping to fourth to maintain your revs but this is offset by the ability to do much lower rpm on the flat and that fourth gear becomes much longer and more useful on a roads.

Best wishes

• 2 weeks later...

I never understand why when disco owners put large tyres on they need a 1.4 box but defender owners are on large tyres already and need a 1.2 box!

I guess that's why defender owners on 35s manage on original box.

I'm on 33x13.5 and I have fitted a 1.4 box, WHAT a difference, the little v8 was struggling at low revs to maintain pace in 5th.

The 1.4 box has transformed it.

Don't notice an issue in low range, tbh I'm often in second or third so low first is clearly still low enough :)

• 4 weeks later...