Dead fuel gauge

My fuel gauge has died suddenly. I was driving and suddenly, the gauge just went dead. Low fuel level light is still working though. What do I check first? I have checked the connections on the sending unit and all seems to be in place.

Hi,

If you checked that the low level light on the dash is working by letting the fuel run low and watch the light come on (rather than the inital startup test to show it lights) then I would be under the impression that the sender has nothing wrong with it. I would test the elec block at the back of the fuel gauge with a multi-meter to see if it's getting power and if it is then persume the gauge itself is faulty.

Thanks for your replies. I know that the low level light is working because I had very little fuel left in the tank when the gauge died. In fact I was on the way to fill the tank. I shall have to get an electrician to check the rest out as vehicle electrics are a dark science to me. The area behind the instrument panel is a no-go area.