Freelander intermittant starting problem

adrianfuller1

Hi

Hope someone can help. The other week my Freelander (manual TD4) failed to start, all dashboard lights came on, the fuel pump kicked in but the starter did not turn (as I do not think the solenoid was pulled in), all dashboard lights stayed illuminated while trying to start the engine. After some muttering and rocking the car in gear etc I tried to start it again and it started, I did nothing more to follow up the fault.

About 5 days ago I drove the about 10 miles parked up and returned about 5 minutes later, to find it would not start again. I tried the muttering and rocking in gear trick but with no success. About 5 hours later when I returned to tow it back home I tried the ignition and it started which prompted more muttering from myself.

I have cleaned all electrical connections including main power and solenoid connectors on starter and both battery terminals and it has played me up again. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this type of intermittent fault, also if the immobiliser was at fault does this stop starter turning or just the engine from starting?

Any help gratefully received

Many thanks

I had exactly the same fault recently on a motorbike I am rebuilding. It was a faulty starter solenoid. Apparently the internal contacts get coated with carbon. No option but to replace it.

You could also check the battery earth to the body.

Hope this helps - Jonners