One shot and oil lubed bearings?

Nigelw

Having a ponder on this as on top of now needing to take the timing chest off I also need to change a swivel ball as it is pitted and now weeping fresh new EP90, didn't notice it when I first got it but then again seeing the two and 1/2 drips that came out when I rebuilt the front axle with 24 spline it is hardly surprising.

But not wanting to have another potential black mark against Rusty I was wondering whether t is possible or actually a good/bad idea to put one shot into the swivel housings as I run oil lubed bearings?

I saw a 1L bottle of liquid swivel grease when I was in Holland.

Any ideas?

I know but really have not got time to rebuild the swivels before the MOT and as this one is leaking I really don't want to tempt fate by leaving it for the tester to point and grumble about, my thinking was that the grease being thicker would stay in and I would be able to just make the swivel seals and housing super clean so there was nothing to be seen.

But what harm can swivel grease do with regards to running oil lubed bearings?

I know but really have not got time to rebuild the swivels before the MOT and as this one is leaking I really don't want to tempt fate by leaving it for the tester to point and grumble about, my thinking was that the grease being thicker would stay in and I would be able to just make the swivel seals and housing super clean so there was nothing to be seen.

But what harm can swivel grease do with regards to running oil lubed bearings?

In an ideal world, the swivel surface should be perfect and the seal renewed - however, what you are proposing will be fine and it won't have any effect on your wheel bearings because they would have been packed with grease before assembly anyway and are now flooded with oil too, so will stay lubricated.

Regards, Diff.

On one side of my S1 I had to change the chalice ball, but the other side was only pitted above the centre line, so I tried body filler. I'm sure it won't last eons, but I figured at worst I'd freed all the bolts and screws off :)

For short term fix I'd throw one-shot in there. I've nothing against one-shot as much as the pits letting stuff out and letting water and dirt back in with every swipe of the seal.

I have ordered new swivels for both sides and am looking to get these originals re-chromed, but with so much faffing around with trim and wires and now having to do the timing chest also I just have not got time before my safety test to do them, figured €12 on swivel grease and a pass is better than another week or 2 set back for a new safety test.

Thanks for the advice.