Rocker cover spraying oil

wood-gee

I changed the valve stem seals on my 2.25 diesel the other weekend, but since popping the rocker cover back on it's been spraying oil rather nastily (sufficient for stuff to get on the underside of the bonnet). Would there be sufficient pressure in the rocker cover to do this under normal conditions?

I didn't have any previous problems apart from that I had to gasket glue the breather cap. I changed the seals using a tools my father had fashioned meaning I didn't have to take off the head, but it did require removal of the rockers ie some of the head bolts. Basically I was wondering if it'll just be down to the rocker cover and/or breather not being sealed properly, or whether by undoing some head bolts the seal between the cylinder and pushrod shafts has been compromised and pressure from the cylinder is what's causing the oil to spray out and therefore whether it's worth undoing and tightening the head on properly?

Keen to hear opinions!

Cheers

Jake

Could do with checking more thoroughly, I don't think it is, but might give it a clean and see if it makes a difference/it can only help. My motives were down to the fact it didn't appear have any kind of seal (Should it? Difficult to make out from parts manual and the father reckoned his old 2.5 defender used to have an O ring or something similar) and that around the hole where the securing screw goes in the metal has bent a bit so it's been difficult to get a tight fit. I suppose the main reason I was also ignoring it as a source of the issue was due to the fact there wasn't oil leaking before and I had the same set up (ie sealed with gasket glue).

If its blowing oil out and the breather is clear then the crankcase is probably pressurising - generally due to bore wear and/or broken rings.

Why did you replace the valve stem seals?

Careful sealing can disguise things for a (long) while.

Its possible that the head gasket is letting go.