Series ll or Defender

De Ranged

Had an add on our version of ebay for a while for a long wheel base series

Plan was daily come tow wagon camper,

Series 2, 3 door... from the old man in southland $1000 to get it up here or a local one thats in better condition dads just needs a new bulkhead which I can get for a favor

Strip it down and rebuild it from the chassis up, fit the Range Rover rear axle in my toy to it (with an ARB), modify the front axle to disk brake and wider to match the rear, power steering

Fit the TD27ti from my stolen mistral

Add another door on passenger side and comfort improvements like adjustable seats, aircon, soundproofing etc

The idea is vintage old school cool and rego :wink: but with modern diesel and comforts

Now just got interesting as Ive been offered a dereged 87 110 v8 defender that looks to be in good order for $1500ono

hmmm better ride etc but no vintage reg :lol: reg is a 5th of normal

How old does a vehicle have to be in NZ before it qualifies for classic/club reg? It's 25 yrs over here and I have both my RRC and Stage One V8 registered on club plates at less than half the cost of normal reg for one vehicle. I would go for the 110 as it is much less work to transform into something that performs reliably decent both on and offroad.

Edit. Just in case Jaime reads this. Make a spring steel steering trackrod for it though.

Thirty yrs for vintage in nz

The work doesnt concern me much, I love the journey of building a toy lol I tend to look after them a bit more if Ive made that investment

it just feels a little funny to be pulling a V8 for a tittle diesel

I'd feel happer doing that to an old holden straight 6 or old school rover motor

And I know my nature I'm too tight to run an 8 for a daily lol

Been thinking that maybe I do both fix up the 110 and use it as a daily till I get the other toy done lol

Edit. Just in case Jaime reads this. Make a spring steel steering trackrod for it though.

:hysterical: You're right though!!

Just back from a month playing with old Russian stuff good to catch up with everything.

I'd say the 110 makes a lot of sense. I think series landies should be left unmolested now or left to rust away in peace. The 110 is just so much more capable, more so than say a 90 over an 88".

To be fair, an early V8 110 would be better built from better materials than a newer one.