fairey overdrive oil leak

dm7288

Hi all, I have fitted a fairey overdrive to my series 3.

I replaced all of the overdrive gaskets to prevent leaks.

Bloody thing still leaks, but out of the hole in the top cover that has a split pin in it.

The cover has a plate on the underside to deflect the oil away from the split pin and hole, I assume the split pin acts as a breather.

Anyone know of a fix to prevent this?

Dont want to put a self tapper in the hole as it might cause a build up of pressure?

Any ideas?

Dave..

Are you using the correct oil? Some oils 'foam' excessively and then as the air inside is heated it expands and blows oil-bubbles out.

Also did you fill it to the correct level? I remember back in the days of GKN/Laycock O/D gearboxes on things like Transits, Humbers, TVRs, Triumph-2000s etc there was a bent-wire thing you used to poke into the filler-hole to test the oil level - which depending on design could be an inch or so _below_ the filler-hole. If you just filled-it-until-it-overflowed then you would often end up with bad things [oil working its way up the speedo-cable and ruining the speedo itself was a favourite on Transits].

Check with the Fairey manual to see what the fill-level should be!

If that doesn't fix it, you could always remove the split-pin, drill/tap the hole and fit a threaded 'tail' adapter then run some plastic aquarium-pipe to a catch-tank somewhere?

An extended breather is a common way of stopping the OD throwing out oil mist, although checking the level is correct is always a good 'first move'. The OD runs quite hot, so allowing it to 'breathe' is essential; the trick is to do it without allowing the oil to leak.

That said, some people think the aroma of hot EP90 is an essential part of Series motoring :-)

If you aren't familiar with pneumatic fittings and pipes you can always buy kits off ebay. This one relates to axle breathers, where adapters screw into the axle, replacing the existing ball valves that are prone to sticking. The 'extension' of the pipe means that no valve is required to combat water ingress.

For the OD and gearbox / transfer box the idea is that the existing breather hole is drilled out and tapped to take the same threaded adapters. These breathers are normally teed together near the transmission, then one common extended pipe is lead away.

If you want a complete vehicle kit, or any other variation, then I suggest you contact the vendor directly via landy@rms1.co.uk, when any prices will reflect the fact that the sale will be direct.

I know the vendor through the Series 2 Club Forum, but have no business connection with him.

HTH

I can't get the filler out of mine so just poured in a measuered amount through the top plate :unsure:

I too have drilled out the plate and fitted a push-fit elbow for a raised breather, along with the same on the transfer case and gearbox, I ran the pipes upto a manifold on the bulkhead rather than tee them too closely together. I tried tapping the plate on the overdrive but it didn't give much of a thread to screw in to so I have also threadlocked a back nut on. When I find someone that can do it I'll get the nut brazed onto the plate.