Ashcroft ATB LSD review

discomikey

I've had quite a few Quaife ATB's apart to machine/modify the casings and they are quite uninteresting inside. Absolutely no magic in there anywhere!

The Eaton video would be a fair representation of the innards of a Quaife with more helical 'cough candy' spirals

• 7 months later...

now back on the road properly for a while, i feel i can now provide an accurate review of the differentials on road manners. off road, i have only experience of 15 mins playing in rear wheel drive only.

the big question, Is it worth it? simply, YES

did it meet my criteria? yes more so than i would imagine.

• must be stronger than the cheese built rover 2 pin diff!!! - errr yes
  • Must be fairly cheap all things considered - yes
  • must be plug and play, no special procedures or oils - yes
  • must be invisible or close to on road - yes
  • must be kind on halfshafts - surprisingly yes.
  • and finally, but not importantly - must improve off road performance, after all it is an LSD... - yes as far as i can tell so far.

On road. it is completely invisible as far as i can tell. only exception being that if you are trying to get the back end out, it is easier than with an open diff. (remember RWD only) BUT. having an 88" as anyone that may be stupid enough to put into a wall, being so short, can spin out and straight into a wall before you blink. HOWEVER with this LSD, it is a far more gradual, controllable situation. i found a clear piece of curvy wide road in the wet one morning around 5AM and 2/3 way round the bend gave it a hoof full in third. just to understand the characteristics of what it would do. i was very pleasantly surprised. i managed to control it for long enough for brain to go from "can i catch it" to using the throttle to control it nicely. where as before it was, inside tyre spin........SNAP ... oh im backwards all of a sudden...

having also found an empty windy moorland road with extra run off room, i had a go at hard dry cornering. exactly the same as before. no difference whatsoever. completely invisible.

in just damp conditions it is fine,

tight cornering on gravel, whilst towing another land rover, it doesent scrub like i would expect. you can just tell the tyre starting to scramble if you really watch it, and i mean JUST.

towing, again not an issue, the last load i had on was a 3T digger, which we had to load it up across the road, facing downhill otherwise the digger couldnt climb the trailer ramps. when coming to reverse out of the loading position, i anticipated there to be an issue, but with 3.5T behind be and the trailer brakes deactivated, and what is fair to say a LOT of noseweight (adjusted for traction for reversing out the situation) i was wheelspinning, both wheels equally. no 4 wheel drive so i had to rock it out, when it wouldnt rock, i got a bit aggressive (on purpose to test the shafts) i expected it to snap a halfshaft, being so much weight was behind it and i was snatching in low box reverse. all fine. REALLY impressed. the shafts that are in it, are...... wait for it.... Britpart standard shafts, (only set of shafts available when i needed them that day!)

off road. its fair to say from what i have experienced, i am more than impressed. i attempted a couple of hill climbs which i thought i had no chance of, only short, but very steep hillclimbs. i tried crawling, and a more enthusiastic approach to all of them. It would be stupid to expect the diff to bend the laws of physics and make the thing as capable as if it was in 4wd. but quite honestly. it wasnt that far off. i cant wait to test it in 4wd, just need to get a couple of front shafts made up first.

best of all, it was a direct fit plug and play unit, no drilling, tapping, piping up like a locker. but i am so impressed with its ability to do its job. on some surfaces, i have expected it to not "have enough grip to work" but it does, it might aswell have been completely locked IMO.... i wait with keen interest to the first bit of ice and snow i come across i will be posting on this thread then aswell.

great product lads. (no affiliation with Ashcroft, but i really do like it that much :) )