Annoying fault when cold

Jonners

Happy New Year Folks

My TD4 has developed a worrying fault (34000 miles on clock) - Starts fine and runs normally for first mile or so, then engine misfires until temp gauge gets near normal. Then it runs well as usual.

This only happens on cold wet, or frosty days and no fault lights show. This problem only occurs occasionally then runs fine for a few weeks until the next time.

Any ideas?

Cheers Jonners

OK, no advice yet. So can I appeal to the engine tek's out there:-

Obviously my fault is caused by the transition from cold to a warm engine as the temperature climbs.

What controls the temperature transition on a diesel engine? (not had one before) rather like a choke would on a petrol engine.

Is there a sensor that can be cleaned/replaced. I should say the EGR is removed & blanked off so that can't be the problem, plus all the filters were replaced at the last service last June.

Look forward to your advice.

Cheers Guys,

The more I think about it you could both be right. Anyway it's out of my hands now - it carked it last night so my son towed it to the garage. I wish I knew more about diesels !!!!!

Let you know what happens.

Jonners

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, Thanks to those who replied.

So far we have changed the intermediate fuel pump & filter (the one by the back wheel).

Problem solved, so we thought. 3 days later problem occured again. Fault code reader said low pressure in fuel line.

So, looked at fuel injectors & found problems at idle & 2 that broke down under pressure. So got all 4 injectors rebuilt. Ran like a spring chicken for 30 miles, then refused to start.

Back to square 1 as it is running fine once started. But I now have a lack of trust in the motor as I am sure it will all happen again.

I can only think it is an electrical fault as it is so randomly intermittent.

Any further ideas?

Cheers - Jonners.