solid clutch pedal

bushwhacker

Hello out there.

So I'm thinking it's time for a new clutchfork and maybe a clutch in my 300tdi Disco.

What is the best way to do this job?

Engine out or gearbox back?

I have had a trawl but cant find any good info! (Having said that I know someone will make me red faced.

Sorry? What is wrong exactly? Are you saying the pedal is solid and does not move? Yes, that is a collapsed clutch fork. While in their replace everything....from the clutch master all the way to the clutch itself and crank seal. No point in doing things twice.

IMO, gearbox out if you have a lift. Engine if you don't.

Update for anyone doing the clutch fork repair or fitting a new clutch.

I ended up having to remove 9 flanged nuts (all around the top with 3 very hard to get at) and 4 studs (around the bottom easily got at).

If I were to do it again I might take the gear box out method.

But the center nut at the top would still prove very awkward I am sure.

My 110 was a lot easier to do floor out gear box supported with an engine hoist then moved back loads of room for a clutch change.

I just used a jack lifting up the front of the engine, at this point I would advise anyone attempting this job to go out and buy a good, very good cordless, air powered or elecric rattle gun, it makes it so much easier and its a handy tool to have. Next get a 30" long 1/2" extension drive, using this you can access all the bolts. Remove the inner console, hand brake cable, speedo wiring, exhaust pipe(s) both prop shafts and gearbox cross member, lower the box with a hydraulic lifter, undo all the bolts and slide the gearbox back, getting it back is the trick as it will always kick to the right due to the weight of the transfer box. I fixed this by bolting a plate to the lifter and drilled three holes to match those on the under-side of the box - that and a chain over the box to prevent it fron twisting.

The nuts went on alot handier than coming off.

I'm going back to my 110 csw 2.5na that needs a 200/300tdi conversion. I have already put a disc brake rear axle in so engine next.

Selling my 200 and 300 disco will help fund the 110.

I like disco's but the rust is a nightmare.