Propshaft length query for modified rebuild

Hi all, just a query as per the title really, I have a 1985 90, originally with a 2.5 n/a and LT77 that I am rebuilding on to a 300 Tdi defender 90 chassis with engine and main gearbox from a 300 Tdi discovery, retaining the original transfer box, axles are original 1985 items.

my question is, whether or not the prop shafts from my 1895 vehicle will fit my rebuild, I don't know whether the prop shafts are a different length between the later and earlier vehicles, I still have both the prop shafts from the disco as well if those would be a better fit, I am sure that they would fit, I just want to make sure that they wouldn't limit the droop of the axle on full articulation. the vehicle is on standard rate and height springs ...

many thanks in advance,

Dane Brewer

The solution is a stick with regular markings - a tape measure.

Jack up the chassis and with the suspension hanging down fully extended measure the distance from the transfer box flanges to the diff. flanges and measure your shafts, there sould be at least 100mm of spline still "unused", then jack up the axles so the weight of the vehicle is fully on the springs, fit spring compressers to all four coils ( you can do the front and then the rear if you only have one set of compressors) so the suspension is now fully compressed and measure again, the compressed propshafts length should comply with at least 15mm of spline remaining, that is the prop shaft should be that distance shorter that the compressed distance this is important as you dont want the prop shafts to fully compress - that is no more spline movement and by allowing 10-15 mm you take care of chassis deformation if you come down very hard, its as simple as that. I had to go through this procedure when I fitted the Ashcroft ZF4HP22 that I purchased with a ZF4HP24 oil pump that "pushed" the gearbox back some 15mm.