De-EDC a disco?

UdderlyOffroad

Hello all,

I've gone and done it again. Purchased a 300 Tdi EDC discovery. Only mildly rotten and still at the patchable stage. My excuse this time is that SWMBO needs a car due to imminent job-change (she'll use my daily Euro-box, before anyone thinks I want to be single! :-) ).

Now, the thing seems a little down on power so will give it a good service, filters, check the hoses.

The other issue is the remote/immobiliser fob has disintegrated, leaving you having to press the microswitch on the bare circuit board before you start it. I know you can buy the housings but have been thinking...short of swapping the pump out for a non-EDC version, how easy is it to remove the ECU/Immob from the equation altogether?

It's a manual so no kick-down cable to worry about. There appears to be a bowden cable linking the loud pedal with the pump. So, if one was to remove the DDS bit on the pump and supply voltage to the stop solenoid as alluded to here, Supply 12V to the fuel cut off solenoid* and starter when required, surely the ECU is now totally out of the picture?

Feel free to PM me any responses you think veer to much into 'giving pikeys a lesson in how thieve' but I think we all know that playing with a multimeter and wiring in bypasses isn't their style!

Matt

*I assume this is different from the stop solenoid on the pump?

Are you sure it's edc and not simply a late spec immobiliser? edc have an air flow meter so easy to check.

If it's simply the later immobiliser it's very easy to get round, take a hammer and chisel to the plastic box on the back of the injector pump (you won't damage the pump unless you're incredibly heavy handed) and then when the shear bolts are visible, undo them either by tapping round with the chisel or with mole grips. With the box off, there is a standard stop solenoid underneath, just run an ignition live to this and all works on the key as before with the immobiliser out of the equation.

Why de-EDC it?

I always thought the EDC was more powerful than the old clockwork-diesel versions [which is why they fitted the EDC to autos in the first place] so in my mind it's omething you should want!

If you do things that reduce the from-the-factory degree-of-immobilisation you need to notify your insurers, too.

Thanks for the responses all.

To be honest I haven't actually picked up yet so was just doing some research after a lazy Sunday lunch...will report back.

Gary, a google site search revealed this guide from Pete Attryde, thanks for the pointer. Sadly the pictures have gone into the Photobucket Hole of Doomtm

Matt