URGENT request for advice please

I am not a number

URGENT request for advice please.

Thank you for reading.

I have a 2.5 liter 300TDi engine in my 1996 Discovery.

For some months it has been running really well with intermittent power loss, 'holding back' for brief periods and then OK again. It has never been a good starter!

The problem seems to have worsened now with the engine stalling while going up short slopes/hills. This problem has become extremely regular.

Can anyone offer advice as to what the most likely cause(s) may be please? My initial reaction is fuel starvation, only a guess. I have replaced the fuel filter.

Any help will be much appreciated as I rely on the vehicle on a daily basis.

Thank you in anticipation.

Check list.

Fuel sediment bowl, located on the right hand chassis rail on the inside, just by the A frame cross member.

Lift pump. Try a known good one, buy genuine if you can it saves money long term and gives peace of mind.

You don't mention whether or not it is dipendent on fuel tank leve?

1. check your lift pump mine had a screw off lid and it has a wee fine circle mesh in it mine was full of carp so I fully agree with director of bluntness as if sediment filter is full its letting all the carp get to lift pump. as I assumed with mine first to be fuel starvation only to discovery the mess was blocked it had same problems as you describe.

There is also a very fine filter inside the banjo connection of the fuel line to the Fuel Injector Pump (FIP), check this one out as it's often overlooked, so

1.) Sedimenter,

2.) Fuel lift pump.

3.) Main fuel filter - ensure there is no air trapped in it.

4.) Mesh filter in the FIP connection banjo.

if all these prove to be okay then its not fuel, one thing you could try though is turning over the engine with No. 1 injector disconnected and see if fuel is being injected.