200Tdi Fuel Lift Pump Mystery

Marten

No prizes for the right answer, but this is a mystery!

Stripped and rebuilt my Disco 1 at 230k miles including the engine. Had both since new. Because of new, but defective cam followers, I replaced the (damaged) engine crankcase and rebuilt the engine using the original valve gear and camshaft, which were all in better condition than the "new" parts after 10k miles. Transferred all the other engine parts including the "original" side cover which supports the engine fuel lift pump. 200Tdi lift pumps are no longer available as "original" and the current replacement comes as a kit including two gaskets and a thick plastic spacer to fit between pump and side cover. Post re-build, the replacement lift pump seemed fine, but I vented the system using the hand-pump and never had occasion to check pressure at the fuel filter vent plug whilst the engine was running. Co-incidentally or otherwise, the "original" injector pump failed 8k miles after the crankcase change, full of internal metal particles. Fitted a replacement and also needed to change the fuel lift pump because the inlet non-return valve was leaking and the engine was no longer starting immediately. Again, vented the fuel system using the hand pump, but also opened the filter bleed screw with the engine running and got no fuel pressure at all. Engine stalled once the fuel filter was empty! Hours of checking and chasing later, including the whole fuel system back to the tank sender unit, established that the system was fine and the pump worked well using the hand pump lever. Fuel just wasn't being pumped by the cam shaft lever.

Finally got a good fuel flow with the engine running by fitting a 5mm spacer in place of the supplied 9mm spacer. I now have a whole set of spacers in 2mm steps!

Since then, I have acquired a 300 TDI "original" lift pump and have found identical symptoms except that I had to fit a 3 mm spacer, in place of the 9mm spacer supplied with this pump, in order to get a reasonable fuel flow at the filter vent plug.

Why am I needing to fit thinner spacers to get the pump to work with the engine running?

The replacement crankcase is ex-200Tdi Defender from a reputable engine restorer and appeared identical to my 200Tdi Disco 1 crankcase.

The engine side cover only fits one way and there is no slack on the six bolts to allow misplacement.

The replacement crankcase came without its "original" side covers but it is a genuine 200Tdi unit and the Disco covers should be ok.

There is no slack on the pump bolts to allow misplacement of the lift pump.

Should the 300Tdi pump be fitted without any spacer at all? I'm reluctant to move it any closer to the engine than necessary in case I damage the pump arm. It didn't, pump well with a 5mm spacer, just a dribble from the vent at idle.

Has anyone had a similar problem please?

I have two aftermarket lift pump and a good used genuine one, the two pattern ones have different lengths between them and again against a genuine one, I just came to the conclusion that they were BP cheapo specials.

IIRC the plastic spacer was used on the old 90/110 Turbo diesel engine, it's not needed on the 200tdi, as the side cover has a built in distance piece.

like this one http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/6124/3678/ETC7929-ENGINE-SIDE-COVER.html?limit=0

300tdi lift pump http://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/acatalog/info_763.html

is different to a 200tdi lift pump.http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/203548/5497/fuel_lift_pump_2_5___200tdi_diesel

Thanks for the advice. I had my suspicions about the spacers. I was quite surprised when I found a spacer in the box with the "original" spec 300Tdi pump. I acquired it just to get away from the 200Tdi "pattern" pumps. I have modified the pipework to accommodate it and it is working fine so will use it without the spacer.