Air hose blowing off, Is it turb probs??

Bugamedisco

Hi all.

New here today.

After searching the net for a good forum I found you all.

History: K reg Disco 200tdi. It was my friends for over 7 years and he promised me first refusal, which i jumped to in Nov last year 2013.

I had driven the motor many times when he had it, so knew some of its faults, well, 20 year old Landy has to have a fault or two.

Ive had some work done on the old girl, but now my top air intake hose is blowing off due to preasure.

Ive today cleaned off any oil from the air intake and the inside of the hose and tightened it as much as poss.

Should this amount of preasure be there?

Also, ive noticed that I'm not getting the boost from the turbo that i was getting before i changed the air filter and had the exhaust repaired.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance.

Kev, In Peterborough, Cambs

In addition I'd shine a torch into the inlet manifold to see how much tar and treacle there has been built up from the egr system. I've seen some with next tno airway at all. If the egr is still on remove it asap after a good cleanup of induction path especially inlet manifold, pipes and I/C. As has been inferred there has to be a blockage somewhere.....hth :)

The 200Tdi doesn't have E.G.R. so shouldn't have the crud like the 300's in the manifold.

Where are you getting the pressure reading from, manifold or turbo side?

Are you using silicone hoses? as they blow off easily if the is a film of oil on them, they have to be fully degreased.

Have you change the air filter like for like?

In what way has the exhaust been repaired?

Thank you all for your time to reply.

Firstly, I must say, This is my first Disco which is now well needed for health reasons, I.E at least i can get in and out of.

Bought from a close friend who's history of looking after motors is NIL, drop of oil and water when needed and thats it.

He had it for 8 years, I took it off him just before Xmas last with genuin 106k on the clock.

Low mileage and quite clean through out.

OK, Oil change (engine) Fuel filter, Air filter, Rocker cover gasget, New su and drive shaft, new swivel ball and top pin and bearings.

While changing the air filter i noticed the front pipe from the manifold had gone below its joint, Got it changed.

3 Days later, drove it and found it to be very sluggish and felt as though the Turbo wasn't kicking in.

Then suddenly a pop and very low pulling power.

Under the bonnet i noticed the hose from the intercooler to the air intake had blown off.

Thinking about it, there must be quite some preasure there as it's coming from the turbo, There was only a smear of oil inside the pipe and on the intake, so thats been cleaned and the Jub clip done up tighter.

The thing is, just how much preasure is at the air intake and surely and excess would be thrown via the wastegate, wouldn't it?

I would like to understand more about the workings, bit of a jump up from petrol motors all my life.

Many thanks in advance.

Kev

The intake charge should be about 14psi standard, mine blew off from the turbo but were silicone hoses which are incredibly slippy when oily.

The wastegate regulates the boost pressure by limiting the exhaust gasses travelling through the turbine and dumping the excess out of a separate port into the exhaust, this controls the speed of the internals to keep a constant level of boost.

Even with rubber hoses smear a slick of Rolls Royce gasket goo on the connections and ensure the inside of the hose (Silicon or rubber) is clean, then use decent clamps, the standard units are only good for water, you need turbo hose clamps on the pressure side of the turbo and there are only 6 of them, the intake ones are okay as they are.