300TDI D2?

Mongrel

After quite a bit of reading and research about the problems that the TD5 seems to suffer from, mainly involving the engine and air suspension...

...as well as the advantages of the TD5, better ride and build quality allegedly, as well as being more refined.

I am wondering if there is any mileage in finding a decent D2 with a blown engine, and dropping a 300 tdi into it?

Pluses/minuses, pitfalls etc, all comments appreciated!

been done many times mostly converting v8's as they aren't as desirable. Is it better than a td5? Well that's personal opinion, personally i love the td5, it makes the disco 2 what it is and wouldn't be the same as a 300tdi. The TD5 is nowhere near as unreliable as people make out.

The worst bits of a D2 are the the insta-rust chassis and the horrible wallowy rear suspension. The TD5 is actually quite good, and works well with the auto gearbox too.

If you want a project that will be a nice refined comfortable car, stick a TD5 auto in a P38. Like Land Rover should have done in the first place.

I've driven a nice 300tdi manual D2 - it's a great vehicle. Works really well. Is it better than the Td5? No and yes. The TD5 is a great engine, but then so is the 300Tdi. Depends what you use it for and what you want to do with it really and why. I would price up a decent replacement like for like lump first as it's simple to swap. I've never really seen the point in swapping out a good engine type for another good engine type. I've never really seen the point in spending hours and hours of work shop time for little gain - that's like buying a YJ and wanting it to perform as well as a standard 90, 10 grand later you ask why didn't I just buy a 90.

The 300Tdi D2 I drove was specifically built for touring the former USSR. Once out of the cities Diesel fuel is poor, really poor; and often very dirty. TD5's don't do well on it, and it's a PITA to sort on the road. The builder of the 300D2 had a 300tdi but it was fast succumbing to the rust worm. Too much time up on the Kola Peninsula. But the engine was sweeter than a sweet thing. Re-built, stage 1 head, VNT turbo etc. Finding an early D2 manual with a shot engine is relatively easy, finding a solid one less so. But he did it. It's got a bigger fuel tank with a drain, twin filters and a sedimenter. The D2 makes for a great Overland truck as it's just that big bigger than the D1. Fit shocks and springs and it rides well. Although the front axle is a complete PITA for water ingress. Traction control with a CDL and LSD in the rear makes for easy progress.

Thing is he could just as well have found a decent TD5 D2, dumped the tank and fitted a bigger steel one, external pump, twin filters, sedimenter, swirl pot - all for less hassle....

I like D2 V8's. Lots of vehicle for not a lot of pennies. I reckon megasquirting a D2V8 for better fuel, better reliability and cooler running would be nice. Petrol is cheap in the worlds interesting places but you need to allow for bad quality - I think that would be simpler with a D2V8. But then I'm only really interested in seeing those interesting places.