Frost/core plugs

bushwhacker

Hello out there.

Are there just 3 frost/core plugs behind the turbo, exhaust manifold on the 300tdi and are they all the same diameter?

The middle one on my engine has developed a pin hole leak.

I'm thinking the manifolds will need to come off to replace the plugs.

Another question on this subject, is a 300 the same as a 200 as in they have another hidden core plug behind the timing chest?

Most likely you'd be better to pull the manifolds, you know if you don't do it first that you'll end up anyway, that's how it normally works for me :blush:

Hello out there.

Are there just 3 frost/core plugs behind the turbo, exhaust manifold on the 300tdi and are they all the same diameter?

The middle one on my engine has developed a pin hole leak.

I'm thinking the manifolds will need to come off to replace the plugs.

Yes all 3 the same behind manifold - all in a line - approx 53mm Dia. as measured in rubbish light.

There's also one on the block, rear of engine by flywheel of that size, one just above that one head at approx 34mm and one on engine block front just above timing case/cover behind water pump and steering pump bracket.

Someone else might know exact sizes and of others.... :blink:

HTH.

Welsh plugs are easy to replace, the three you mention will require removal of the intake and exhaust manifolds however.

Remove the manifolds and with a sharp pointed chisle punch the centre of the welsh plug, it will "shrink" and be easy to remove, ensure the hole is clean and dry, smear some Locktite No. 3 or Rolls Royce liquid gasket compond on the new plug and tap the dished centre flat, it will expand and seal, it's as easy as that.

The rear one (if its leaking) will require removal of the engine, the front one, if its not leaking currently, I'd advise you replace the next time you have to replace the infamous "P" gasket a or fit a new water pump..

Just got the 3 under the manifolds changed.

Boydie's tip to use a chisel and punch the center would be a good way to remove the plugs.

I wasn't sure as to whether I should put any thing on the new plugs so i went for a very light smear of copper grease I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do.

I have noticed a slight weep on the left one, haven't run the engine up to temp yet so I hope it expands to a tighter fit. Fingers crossed and thanks guys.

Hummmmm I said to use Rolls Royce jointing compound (AKA Locktite No.3) but if it continues to weep a tap or more in the centre -- and JUST a tap --- will cause it to expand a bit more and seal, if not, replace it and clean the bore it sits in and use a sealing compound, not copper grease..

• 2 weeks later...

No worries, info from LR is that there is only the 3 core plugs under the inlet manifold. The job went pretty well, removed the fuel cooler, inlet manifold & engine mount, replaced the 3 core plugs, it was a bit awkward but we got there, also replaced the 2x O-rings in the fuel cooler while it was out. Filled with water and pressure tested it, all ok.