RR Classic rear diff oil seal .

coachman

:huh: Hello again friends .

I once again have a problem , my rear axle differential pinion oilseal is leaking .

I have been topping up the axle waiting for a slot in my mates garage , eventually the fitting day arrived , then was cancelled due to work load .

Eager to have the work done I approached my local garage only to be told , ` A DIFF OIL SEAL ,OH NO WE WILL NOT TOUCH THAT ` W.T.F . why not ,well it will have to shimmed and pratted with + more diatribe .

I went home and phoned around , Guy Salmon said there were 15 different diffs for the 94 RR Classic ,some have to be shimmed others not , Paul at RRR talked me through the work but still needed pulllers ,maybe shims .

NOT STRAIGHT FORWARD at all .

By now I am a little frought .

I can swop for a complete diff , so I do not need any pullers or shims , but which diff .

Has anyone else had similar probs .

I am still awaiting the replacement Viscous Coupling .

I am still running in 2 wheel drive mode and is temporarily `okay`

Coachman .

You have been misinformed, Coach - there is no shimming involved; that's for setting up pinion bearing preloads, but you're not touching the bearings or their shims. Just like Les' thread, prop off, nut off, flange off, lever out the old seal, clean the seat and fit the new seal before refitting everything. I haven't got a manual handy, but anywhere between 80 and 100'lbs would do for tightening the nut on reassembly. Just make sure the seal is driven all the way home when you fit it.