Morocco - advice sought

Brief: my Ninety, a mate's Nissan Patrol. 14 days. 4 people (incl first-aider). Ferry to Spain, cross to Ceuta or Tangier then anti-clockwise round Morocco via Fes, Midelt, (itinerary hazy), Ouarzazate, Casablanca and back home. Mostly camping, more driving than not but we'd like to take a day in Fes and another day somewhere in the mountains.

1) Who's been before?

2) Can we get to M'hamid to drive to Foum Zguid across the desert, or will we run out of time?

3) What's to see at Erg Chebbi? Instead of or as well as M'hamid?

4) Where did you get your insurance from? Mine doesn't cover outside EU.

5) Any recent tips for ferries or border crossing? Lots of people talk about touts but recent experiences seem to be better?

6) Any tips on what to see en route?

1. Your route as described is clockwise! In that direction call in to the Roman town of Volubilis on the way top Fes.

2. Been twice and as long as you put in a couple of big driving days you will get to drive across the desert. This is the main reason to go IMHO but be prepared to put in the hours behind the wheel. There are several different possibilities but you do one, you do them all!

3. Erg Chebbi is the most extensive sandy desert in Morocco and will be where you get to dune bash. Contary to popular misconception the desert has very little in the way of sand and dunes so a visit to Chebi is a must to get the photos and to have the feeling you have driven on sand.

4. NFU insurance covers Morocco (or used to at least).

5. Cross to Cueta for the real deal. Yes there are touts but it is part of the experience and worth a couple of Euros as a proper introduction to North African culture. If you want to sterilise it, then ferry to the new Terminal at Tangier-Med should avoid any contact with the locals other than officials.

I could go on but best thing is to get out there and experience it for yourselves without too many preconceptions. It is changing very fast out there so even though we were there 3 years ago I fear much of our experiences will not be available to you even if I was to suggest ideas based on them.

14 days including to and from UK is tight, would need to cover ground fast, but that is the best plan anyway. Do Spain in a day if ferry allows it.

Ait benhadou, Ouarzazate, Zagora, M'hamid and f'm zquid is a good route, though last time I was there they were tarmacing some of the f'm zquid-m'hamid stretch : (

not much to actually see at erg chebbi - it's just sand, I prefer the area around M'hamid

The area between F'm zquid and Marakesh is nice and scenic, and up over the mountains - couple of routes to choose from, maybe try a night in Marakesh before legging it back to Ceuta.

Don't bother stopping to see Casablanca, it aint like on the film! We did quite like Rabat though, still a port town but quite charming.