air in fuel lines

Find the leak!

With a healthy lift pump and battery, they are self priming engines meaning just cranking the engine over should purge air out the system, which suggests you have a crack or damage to one of your fuel lines which is then allowing air to enter the system...

How do you know you've got air in them? Some symptoms would help identify a probably leak area.

on my fuel line of a section of clear pipe and I can see the air loads of it, what happened was I was having trouble with power mainly at the point where you change gear, and investigating more I found a leak it was on the fuel line, clip had came off don't now how,and the clear pipe section is on the return pipe by the pump, it's causing the engine to splutter on tick over, oh and I changed the fuel filter aswell, dd

Hmmm, are you positive all the air is out the filter? did you prime the filter before you changed it at all? the clear pipe being on the return isn't exactly a clear indicator there is air in your fuel supply lines and I wouldn't put that down to your problems.

The point when changing gear is usual when the engine is revving the highest... When did you last change your lift pump? as this is connected directly to engine speed...

never, had engine three year, the leak I found was and now sorted was bad when engine was running so I was presuming that was my problem with the revs, but the leak was after the pump, so could it be that there was air being sucked back, what I'm trying to do is sort out what I can see, what if I take return pipe off and let fuel run into container with engine running would this remove air from fuel lines, dd

If there is air, the leak is before the lift pump (if it is working).

As stated earlier, the system is self bleeding. You do not need to do anything to get air out of the system. Air is only there if there is a continuous leak.

Look carefully over everything between the tank and the lift pump for leaks.

Remove the injection pump solenoid wire. Disconnect the fuel line where it goes into the fuel filter and stick in bucket. Crank engine and see if the lift pump is working. It should pump a good flow of fuel.

done what you said and got plenty of fuel gushing out, took truck up the road and loads of trouble, first of all run then no power no revs and kept cutting out, got back and took fuel filter off and it was only 1/4 full is this normal, and tried something else took arm off wastegate on turbo and cannot move wastegate is this normal I think i read in another post this should be moved easy, dd