Sound proofing

Hi guys, probably been covered to death so sorry for the repeat but what household(ish) items are best for soundproofing the can? I'm guessing some sort of carpet underlay then I'm liking the idea of rubber on top for ease of cleaning.

Thanks for suggestions

Jamie

Hiya

I've been covering my floors and under carpet areas with roofing felt underlay, not got it all done yet but it's working really well.

It's a torch on underlay which with a paint stripper heat gun is actually sticking quite well, it's a little tacky at the moment on top as I've not got the carpets back in, but I'm hoping the stickiness will also stop the carpets from moving?

I did a little research and for the cost the underlay is nearly the same as professional sound deadening, also I've read that if you do use something like this that you only have to cover 25% of the panel for it to be affective.

Paul

Oh yes,

The camping mats on the floor do work but after a while they get worn and leave imprints of your feet, especially on the drivers side you are left with grooves where your heals sit as your driving.

As has been said before, the 'ultimate' set up is as follows:

vibration damper (eg Silent Coat, Dynamat) - only needs 25% coverage to dampen vibrations - although many people cover nearer 100%.

followed by a layer of closed cell foam (separates the damper layer and the MLV)

Then lastly Mass Loaded Vinyl - dense stuff that in effect blocks sound.

If you know of anyone who works in the commercial refrigeration/air-conditioning/building-services business ask them if they can source some self-adhesive 'plenum mat'. This is a centimetre or so of cellular-rubber with an aluminium-foil on one face and a peel-off sticky backing on the other face.

It's used to stick on industrial-sized air-conditioning plenum-chambers, heat-exchanger casings and ducts to stop them producing that horrible low-frequency 'woom-woom-woom' noise when the fans are running.

It has the advantages of being both cheap and fire-resistant.