Engine transplants

Cal

Hiya,

I'm thinking about buying a Series 3 as a weekend bit of fun for laning and pay and play days and have found a nice 1984 2.25 petrol.

Part of my longer term ideas if I get on OK with a Series landy (never owned one before) was to fit (or get fitted as I'm not much of a mechanic) a 2.5 TD engine and parabolic springs.

If I'm going down the engine transplant route, would it be easier to start with a diesel engine in the Series anyway or does it not matter?

Still kinda tempted by an early 90, but in theory like the idea of the character of a Series landy.

Are they actually cheap to run, or does it depend on how much tinkering you can do yourself?

Thanks,

Cal

Cal,

cost is dependant on how far you want to go on it.

diesel into and petrol series is only a little more work on the plumbing side, return to tank etc.

if you cant do the work yoursalf (and tbh suspension changing is pretty easy) then personally i'd start with a 90 with the diesel engine of your choice in, probably save money in the long run.

Thanks Tonk.

It's a bit of a tricky one for me to decide really - I'm gonna have to sell my Disco to run a cheaper everyday car, but don't want to stop off roading, and should be able to fit a series 3 into my garage, whereas a 90 probably wont (do 90s windscreens have hinges on the same as a Series landy?). But if having a series 3 means tinkering with it 3 weekends out of every month to get it ready for only one weekends off roading then I don't think it would be worth it.

I just have no idea how much work has to go into maintaining and running a series 3 even if it is only a few thousand miles a year...

The other idea is to get something like a S**uki SJ (sorry for swearing on the forum), but like the whole land rover scene - and maybe having a series 3 would encourage me to do more stuff myself - as I may end up with no choice! :)

Definitely a "how long is a piece of string" sort of topic :D

I wouldn't be doing anything too crazy - not going to be entering any winch challenges in it - more like just messing around at places like Grand Canyon, Slindon and a bit of laning, but I suppose that applies to any vehicle used off road.

If you really have your heart set on a series vehicle I would suggest you seek out a nice late series 2A. The body and chassis were built from better quality metals, and they don't have the more troublesome all synchro gearbox.

The tinkering 3 weekends out of 4 is a fairly accurate description of what series Land Rover ownership is all about though so think it over carefully before you take the plunge.

Bill.

Thanks for the advice Bill - I'd forgotten about that - a mate of mine with a series 1 had said that a series 2 was "better" than a 3.

Tonk - what spec is your truck - that's the kind of thing I would like to end up with (depending on what you've done underneath). Looks cool!

how easy/difficult would it be to put a series windscreen onto a 90

Not that difficult really, this crossed my mind when contemplating bulkhead swaps on my 2a if going to tdi. I knew a guy that was driving a td5 around with series screen and truckcab for a while - the original defender screen and panels got damaged when the car fell over :rolleyes:

Easiest to do it with a series 2 screen because of the hinge, all you would need to do is make up a bracket that bolts to the bulkhead where the normal defender hinge/bracket goes and then have the series windscreen hinge running off that.

Sorry, p*ss poor description. :(

You would of course need to run series roof as the defender screen is a diffrent shape so roof panels wouldnt line up to a series screen, truckcab or custom canvas would be easiest because then you dont have to worry about any of the length issues. :)

HTH

Lewis

Edited to say Custom canvas

Do Defender screens still hinge forwards then, or do they just look like they do cos of the way they're bolted on?

Some, mostly earlier screens are fitted with hinges, for example my 87 90" has them, as does mates 89 110" and other mates 85 90" etc. But later ones were fitted with a bracket in place of the hinge, my old 91 90" had these, as does mates 98 90". As far as I know they are completely interchangeable ;)

Lewis

Nice one - thanks Lewis - maybe I should look at early defenders as well then...

Dont rule out later defenders if they havnt got the hinge - i'm sure you could retro fit them with ease :)

I see from your sig youv've got 12 landys - any you want to dispose of after Xmas?

Funny you should ask that ;) , my daily will be up for sale when I get the 90 sorted, probably around december time.

Its a 68 Series 2a van, so its got free tax, its fitted with a Perkins Prima 2lt Diesel engine and goes well for a 38 year old car (I've had the speedo off the clock), does 40ish MPG too. All new brakes for last MOT, drums shoes cylinders pipes - everything. Excellent chassis and serviceable bulkhead, other than that its fairly standard. Its green in places with blue doors, comes with truckcab and tailgate and spare doors too, plus whatever else i can find to throw in, spares, smiths heater etc.

Its the one in my Avatar (old picture when it was tuckcab)

Anymore details PM me :)

Lewis

Thanks Lewis - I will give you a shout when I've got a better idea of exactly what I'm after, but sounds pretty good to me.

If you've got any more pics if the IIa I'd like to have a look...

If you've got any more pics if the IIa I'd like to have a look...

No probs, i'll see if i can dig out some more photos at the weekend - I havnt got any that are too recent tho, but there may be one or two with the hardtop fitted

Lewis

I'm a Series fan, but as Bill and Tonk have said, tinkering 3 weekends out of 4, is a fairly accurate picture, plus you already have the "improvement bug" which is dangerous and expensive. I think you might find that an MOD released 2.5 nad might be a better place to start. 2" lift springs, new shocks, and a winch and you are in the game as a moderately well equipped player. Next up would probably be a power steering conversion (somewhat easier than on a Series).

Having said that, I have loved building my Series III up and it hasn't necessarily been a logical decision process and has been driven more by the heart than the head - but that generally describes Land Rover ownership. In the end, you have to make the call between your heart and you head/wallet.

plus you already have the "improvement bug"

I certainly do! My original thinking was that I would do less to a series landy, but that was clearly delusional! Am thinking I'd maybe be better of looking at early 90s - but will just see what's about when I can actually buy - still like the idea of an old landy, but that may not be particularly realistic with my lack of mechanical knowledge...

Thanks for all the input guys :)

As long as you have the motivation, and I think others will agree with me here, a series Landy is the ideal starter to gain mechanical skills.

I am somewhat in the same boat as yourself... I'm looking at possibly selling my daily driver 4x4, pick up a cheaper to run daily hack and a series or early 90 for 'fun'*

As has been advised here I'm tempted to go down the ex-mod 90 myself. This is based on the fact that it will do to start with, but later mods such as power steering, disc brakes and 200/300 tdi motors tend to be easier to implant.

But there is just something about a series 3 ... it was my first car afterall :D

* i.e. Spending all my spare cash and free time on, making my knuckles bleed and helping me practice several swear-words.

p.s. Yes, the series one in my avatar is still in my posession, but the thought of getting it back on the road is a little overwhelming. I'm thinking of holding onto it for a later project.

Thanks for all the input - I am keen to learn more mechanically, but also want to be able to spend plenty of time driving rather than fixing, so perhaps an early 90 would be a happy medium?

Only decision then is V8 versus diesel (likely to be a TD for my budget), but that's a whole can of worms to go opening on the forum!

Fishd - do you not think you could pick up an early civvy 90 for less than an ex MOD one? Or are you more concerned over the maintenance record?

One of the reasons I was considering the ex-mod is so I can get a soft-top with the half-doors. Saves me trawling sound Landrover shows ... there's too much temptation and too little money :D

One of the things that appeals to me about ex-mod 90's is the fact they are more or less (as much as any older-Landrover can be) standard. A lot of the early civvy 90's will have been "modified" by their previous owner so you're starting on an unknown platform.

My Series One for example needs three different Haynes manuals just to tell me what the engine, gearbox and suspension/drive train could be!