Rear step

My step isn't that far behind the tow bar.

The trailer hitch is a normal Al-Ko one. The end of the handbrake lines up directly to the step.

I'm waiting for another drop plate to fit to the crossmember that the step i'll fit on. That might move the step out of the handbrake way.

Everything is still in bits after having had a new rear crossmember fitted.

Sorry but I don't think I have a picture.

I have a Southdown tank guard with a de-mountable hitch fitted. The de-mountable bit is huge and heavy....

I don't leave the hitch on.

The step is, was, mounted on a normal drop plate. The top of the drop plate is mounted in the normal cross member bolt holes. The stp is mounted in the lower bolt holes.

I'll see what happens when the new drop plate arrives.

Mike

I see why you were having issues now, as mine is of course sandwiched behind the tow hitch, making it much lower.

The handbrake looks to be the same length, but I would check your clearances especially when reversind when you are more likely to jacknife a trailer.

I thought you would understand once I put pictures up.

I've lowered the step by about three inches. I'd intended keeping an eye on that, especially pulling out of where it's kept.

I could add a block between the ball and the plate, what do you suggest ?

Its worth turning at full lock with someone keeping an eye out, to see where things lie, and repeating when reversing.

Consider the corner of the vehicle relative to the trailer as well as the step. You might find this is the limiting factor rather than the step.

ALKO did do spacer blocks for fitting their stabiliser hitch, and if I remember correctly these were available in different thicknesses up to about 25mm.

This was for the standard tow ball, and looking at your set up you already have an extended neck tow ball. I don't know if these are compatible with spacer plates, as you already have greater leverage on the bolts. Just something to consider.

It looks as though you have a spacer plate behind the drop plate, which I assume is to clear the bolts for the step and the guard.

Can you mount the step on the front side of the drop plate?

Might give you a few more mm clearance. Since this is only for the step, shallow head bolts could be used if clearance is an issue.

Actually that Al-Ko tow ball came with a spacer plate. Over an inch thick if I remember.

Unfortunately I can't put the step the other side of the drop plate. There's only a couple mm clearance from the bolt heads to the reciever hitch. Yes the leverage is something I thought about.

I'll know how bad, or good, the clearance is when I pull the trailer out.