Superwinch H14 PTO driven winch.

Hi All,

Not sure to go about this, I have the above winch fitted on front of my 110, however I have in mind to get rid of the pto shaft in favour of hydraulics which will enable me to use the winch and drive train at the same time during events.

Do go for pump that connects into the back of transfer case, or on front of the engine where the air con would be on a Td5 or mount a separate electro hyd system.

Thanks

Graham.

Hi and welcome to the forum

I have the earlier Mayflower pto winch running on a pto hyd set up

some basic info : flow = line speed

and : pressure = pulling force

you will need a fairly fast hyd motor spindle speed to get a reasonable line speed as the worm reduction is big - 48:1 springs to mind , so a gear motor or a Rexroth bentaxis style ( very £££'s) and an operating pressure in excess of 150 bar to get comparable line pull to the mech set up

The off the shelf AC belt driven kit I have seen had a pretty small flow pump compared to my pto unit and electric hyd systems such as ex-tipper truck units are even lower flow

There are people on here with big pumps driven from the engine with toothed belts or chain and also driveshaft direct from crank which work really well

cheers

Steveb

post-1339-0-47872600-1399569262_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-27902100-1399569283_thumb.jpg

You need a bent axis piston motor. They are good for silly speeds, like 10,000rpm -this will give you decent line speed. Then you need a high pressure pump with sufficient flow rate to get the enough torque (pull at drum). You will be looking at 300 odd bar. Then the valve blocks get expensive to deal with the pressure.

Pump needs to be off the engine to get away from the problem you have now. Also at the LT230 PTO slot the shaft speed is low, hence you need a big displacement pump to give the flow rate - makes it more ££, big and heavy.

Note that the worm drive is fairly inefficient and will sap a bit of your power. Efficiency varies in proportion to shaft rpm. Max at static.

The worm is self braking when stationary, but not at speed.

Adrian