300 TDi speedometer incorrect mileage

Regardless of transfer box ratio the speedo is driven from the final output so it doesn't matter if your transfer box is different from standard so long as it has the right coloured speedo drive gear fitted.

Speedo head is just another name for the clock/gauge/dial .... they are sealed units. For the needle to be wrong by a different percentage than the recorded miles it can't be anything other than the speedo as they are both driven by the same cable :)

Another question on this ongoing saga. Just when I was convinced its the speedometer and resigned myself to replace it another possibility has come up.

Too much play on the speedo driving gear. Requires taking off rear prop and hand break drum then tightening the large castlatated nut on transfer shaft.

Anyone had this problem linked to jittering speedo ?

Still think its the speedometer noisey when driving and erratic.

My first thought was the drive cable, but I believe you've replaced that.

Did you pour some oil down the outer sheath before fitting? I have cured similar issues with a little lubrication before.

Added wd40 since but no impact needle on speedometer fluctuation getting worse daily so fairly convinced its the speedo so thats next. If that doesn't work next job is replace the speedo drive gear in case the slot is out of shape and causing play in the cable when it rotates. Final option is propshaft off and brake drum and tighten nut on shaft possible play in drive gear with speedo drive gear. Fingers crossed its speedo apparently common fault.