80" special - what mechanicals for perfect recipe? (non-LR welcome

It has (to a degree).

I stumbled upon a 1950-ish CJ2A tub (same as a Willys MB but with a few civilian bits - like a drop down tailgate) and bought it. Its a complete nail, but given I've got to convert it to RHD I'll be chopping it about anyway. The seller has been kind enough to keep it on his farm for me, until I'm ready to move forward.

I decided to go all modern with the running gear, simply as its so cheap and readily available - can get the lot for less than £500. The setup is:

Steering: Depends on the axles but if I go for narrow ones it'll be: Ford Ranger/Mazda B200 (a common upgrade in the US and these are available in RHD here - there's a specific arrangement to get Herm the Overdrive Guy has all the brackets I need.

If I go cherokee then it'll be the cerokee steering box with a CJ7 column

Chassis: Scratch built - really easy - google Rango Willys for the full CAD plans

Suspension: Wrangler - with extended rear hangers

Axles: Front Dana 35 from a Cherokee XJ - they have the same UJs as a D44 so plenty strong

Rear axle: Ford Explorer Ford 8.8" - almost the same width, same PCD, LSD and Discs, cheep and strong

Or… A pair of Dana 44s from a Mahidra Jeep, if I stumble across a pair (the cherokee/explorer axles will mean wheel arch flaws due to their width)

Gearbox: AX15 from a cherokee 4.0 - have to source a bell housing from the US as I need one from a Dakota to match the engine. Plus a super-short Slip Yoke Eliminator to give me a decent rear prop length

Engine: AMC2.5 from the Cherokee - nice little 135bhp.

And the locust is going forward too - though thanks to a promotion at work its now more likely to be an easy Westfield - I've just collected the rare bits I wanted (Cortina Mk4 uprights and a Xr4i Type-9 gearbox).

And project number 3 is… another Land Rover. Just logged in to post a query about this actually. Next build will have more usable running gear - I very nearly wend for a hybrid tdi engine, but a Turner stage 1 won-out on the last build and it was a mistake - the rig wasn't what I want and I ended up selling it :(

Thank god I've finally got a good-sized garage to store all this rubbish!