TD5 valve stand down & valve seat cutting

James NZ

Hi guys,

I have the TD5 head in the engine reconditioners at the moment and no cracks. Yay! However there is a wee bit of distortion and I want the head skimmed the least amount just to get it flat again. There then followed a discussion on valve stand down and the boys (engineers) said no worries we'll just cut the seats.

According to LR the seats can't be cut. Does any one know why that is? I have found some part numbers, ERR7049 & 7050 for new seats so presumbly these could be fitted if required?

I am aware that the valves can be lapped, but this may not be enough to obtain the correct the stand down.

Some background info. They only crack tested it late this avo and asked me to pop in on the way home, they haven't yet tested it to see how flat, or not, it is. So I'm slightly ahead off myself but would like some opinions before they start machining it.

Thanks for any insights.

Cheers, James NZ

James, I had worries about this question too last month when doing my head gasket. The head will wear having up to 8 thou, some say 10, skimmed off it. My engineer, who is renowned for his expertise, told me that the surface was very bad, and took approx 6 thou off it. He assured me that valve stand down wasn't going to be a problem and that no modifications needed to be made in relation to the valves.

Everything has been perfect in the last fortnight of having the D2 back on the road.