quantity of oil in front diff (series III 109)

xychix

Ola,

I'm about to do something stupid...

I've drained front axle oil as it leaks in to the breaks...

For a MOT (french Controle Technique) test I need the brakes to work (then I've got 5 years for rebuilding the car and the occasional test drive).

I've got only 3 days left and won't be able to change hub seal in time.

So front axle is empty, no problem (i thought) as I'm running in 4x2 AND have AVM free wheel hubs.

Well I just discovered the right front wheel hub is glued together (no way of getting it of other than breaking it open) and is locked all the time regardeless of the choice on the hub.

This means since the left wheel is 'free' the right wheel will turn it's own halfshaft and the other halfshaft in reverse. If for any reason the oher halfshaft gets resistance it will turn the front drive train axle which also rotates freely in the box.

In other words there is no strain on the diff.

yet though, running ~ 100 km's to a tyrecenter and MOT without any oil in a moving diff seems stupid.

So I came up with the idea to give it 0.25 liters (or atleast that little that it will lubricate the diff itself a bit but don't run into the halfshafts.

Yes next action will be to properly fix this but that will be a next holiday and that's beyond the 2 months I have for my revisit on MOT.

therefore the question. How much oil will go in the front axle, and if anyone knows, how much is a safe amount keeping the halfshafts dry?

Remove the differential and the propshaft? Remove the half shafts?

G.

in that case breaking the AVM hub open and 'unlock' it permanently is the easiest. That would ensure prop and halfshafts not to move at all.

ok swivel on problem side is empty, axle is empty.

broke 2 drills on drilling off the rotten avm hub and it was filled with silicone or something like that. The pieces where permanently engaged. Pulled the ring out that slides in and out and thereby I now have a 4x2 landrover :) atleast halfaxles and propshaft are completely disconnected. Should be safe for my ~70 km drive to MOT and back and another 30 km's for new tyres