Suspension Rubbers

Boydie

Aftwer 150,000 hard off road kilometers my radius arm and "A" frame rubber suspension rubbers are well due for replacement. I notice that the Range Rover Classic has "double" bushes on the front radius arms, that is they have a second steel tube mid-way between the inner tube (bolt) and outer (pressed into the radius arm) and that these items are A.) stronger than the Disco units - and B.) are less flexible while not being so harsh as nolathane units.

Any comments and or experiences ???

On winch challenge it eats the double tube quicker than the triple tube. The worse thing you can do is have triple one side and double the other, as the double does all the work :) (job for winter). I'd go triple tube where you can.

If flex is an issue the whole set up is wrong, so might as well go reliable in my book :)

They are also a defender part as well I suspect.

As far as I know they are only available in the wider bush on the front. (this is why I had double tube with the 'A' axel case.

Thanks for that Idris but I would'nt dream of not changing all four suspension rubbers on the front (both radius arms) and at the same time the two "A" frame rubbers - which as far as I can assertain are the same on both vehicles. Oddly enough the two rear rubbers on the radius arms look as if they are as good as new, needless to say they will be renewed as well regardless. Do I take it that the RRC rubbers are longer ? the ones I've measured seem to be identical in bolt diameter, outer diameter and overall length.

Fulcrum ???? Have a look at my location, no such supplier in Australia and as I said I dont want to go to nolathane bushes, for normal non-competition use they are far too harsh and transmit every bump, rubber are far more forgiving.

Fulcrum Suspensions have a dealer about 55kms away from you at Lithgow; a company called Hicks Automotive

Nolathane is just a brand name and using it as a generic is like saying a Dyson is the same as a 12 volt Dirt Devil because they are all Hoovers.

Rubber isn't more forgiving if the polyurethane bush matches the elasticity of the rubber bush or even improve on it - which some polyurethane bush manufacturers do. It's easy to think that hard polyurethane used in race vehicles is the same as the bushes sold for GP and HD use; mainly because some manufacturers (like Deflex or Flotex do just that). SuperPro don't and they build excellent replacement bushes for all types of situations. That's why companies like Isuzu use them as service items or options from new.

I've used them as an upgrade for over 10 years. Every vehicle I spec for my clients has SP bushes at the top of the list. Of the 100's of 1000's of miles those vehicles have done in Australia, South America, Africa and the Former USSR, I've had one bush fail, and that was down to the blessed bolt through the middle not the bush. Hard life is about 10 to 15 years if fitted properly

Hi Hobbit, I contacted Hicks Automotive and got a price on replacement isolators, AUD $295.00 + GST !!!! The Range Rover Classic double rubber units including GST are AUD $165.00 so I guess I'll give the Superpro ones a miss.