300tdi rear prop conversion questions

jason110

Afternoon all

My disco is vibrating like hell from the rear, it looks like the donut has split and the culprit.

I've been researching about the 3 bolt to 4 bolt conversion. So far I've gather I need a kit from paddocks part number STC4858, a 200tdi rear prop however I'm not sure if I need a spacer. Can anyone help please?

Any other advice gratefully appreciated

Jason

Is the vehicle lifted?

The Rubber Doughnut is actually really good until the vehicle has more than 25mm or so of lift, then it becomes all bound up and self destructs.

If you have no lift, then I would suggest replacing it with a god quality replacement

If you do have a lift, you will need a 200tdi output flange and associated fitting gubbins and a 200tdi prop. I would suggest

No lift, the other half of the issue is the hardy spicer joint is stuck/ seized so the prop won't compress sufficiently enough for me it remove it!

When you say output flange, is the on the transfer box end or the diff end? I know I need to replace the flange on the diff.

Thank you

I agree with Hobbit here, the rubber doughnut is a very effective transmission joint, I loved them in Mini's and find that the one in my Disco is fault free and I would warrant that my Disco covers harder and more corrugated roads that yours would ever experience, strip down the tail shaft and service it so that it operates correctly - mark it when you pull it apart so that you dont mess up the balance - clean out the splines and use water-proof grease on re-assembly. Fit a bew genuine doughnut and a new universal joint and you wont have any trouble with your tailshaft so long as you keep the sliding joint greased - put a shot into the three universals at the same time. Just a thought, if your rear shaft is seized I'd also give the front one a service at the same time, again mark it as the offset of the two universals is at 30 degrees and replace the two universals.

I have had to jack the body off the ground a little before now to enable sufficient length in the joint for compression, as for the noise and vibration, replace both the UJ and the doughnut with a good quaity one and it will be fine for another 100,000+miles.

As has been said, don't bother with the diff flange and replacement shaft unless runing a lift, the "cush drive" coupling is very good at it's job and unless replaced with cheap pattern parts they will carry on doing so with minimal if any trouble.