Best way of fitting 5/8th UNF sender to 300TDi

muddy

I would like to fit durite capillary temp gauge 053323 linky to my 300tdi. As I understand it the 300 sender is 1/8th npt and thus difficult to adapt ( ebay says no.) my questions are:

Is the thermostat housing thread M22x1.5

And is this location suitable to measure coolant temp from, or do I use the location on top of the head by the rockers that already houses a temp sender, anybody know what this thread is?

Thanks, will.

That's what I was referring to with the m22 thread boydie. Just checking that it's a suitable place to measure coolant temperature, I'm not familiar with the coolant passages in the head.

Its in a Tomcat that already has an aftermarket gauge fitted, this appears to read artificially high therefore me wanting to fit this gauge.

Will.

The standard temp sender will be looking at actual coolant temp, irrespective of whether the stat is open or not. IIRC the position of the M22 aircon tapping you refer to will not show the same temp when the stat is closed.

Was there not a choice of senders with the Durite gauge? When I bought a VDO unit I could specify the sender thread.

Ok, I disagree, if you use the tapping for the A/C sender then you are measuring the water temperature going to the radiator and AFTER the thermostat, if its well over 100 degrees C then the thermostat is blonked, easy fix, if you're on the road then pull it out or thump a big hole in it to have a constant water flow, if it's in the region of 90 degrees C then all is sweet and the thermostat is regulating the water flow to the radiator as it's designed to