battery issue ( i think )

hi, went out last night change batteries over because two that where in bit to tall started the defender 90 no issues when out this morning and all I get is humming from starter motor similar to revs when not in gear could it be low battery as only got 12.35v I have four batteries and they are roughly the same when connected live jump lead to main battery feed on starter motor and earth to casing it didn't do anything, but when I put live feed to ignition jack it turned the starter but did not start any ideas dd

Immobiliser issue?

You have three pins on the starter motor, ground/earth/batt -, permanent live/batt +, and solenoid engage (which is basically a low current supply to engage the solenoid from your start position of your key, and is batt +)

The engine start solenoid feed can sometimes go via the immobiliser or other start inhibit device (hidden switch)

12v should be enough to start it no problem

But it's best to measure the voltage under load (ie place the meter probes between the battery clamps and give the motor a key start as you normally would and the voltage should drop to the actual available voltage) you should hear the solenoid engage and try to spin the starter motor and once it's spinning fast enough (done very quickly) it will throw the starter dog or gear forward and engage with the flywheel teeth) and then start the engine if the rest of the systems plus fuel are available (diesels esp the older ones can be slightly different in that if they have a mechanical fuel pump once you start them via glow plugs and the starter motor they should just run no other electric required)

You may missing a few teeth on the ring gear (flywheel) too. I.e. try to rotate the engine by hand a few degrees to see if the starter engages this is more a case where you're sure the batts are fine and the starter motor sounds like it's spinning right and the dog (small starter motor gear) is being flung forward to engage with the ring gear

All just options to consider

because of the urgency I took starter motor off and put the spare I had on checked it first with jump leads earth to casing and live to the small jack spun freely, defender started first time sorted, the one I took off checked that in the same way and that spun aswell never found out what the problem was, thks for reply dd