Gearbox Mounts

Guest mr_wuffles

Guest mr_wuffles

Does anyone know if the gearbox mounting holes for a R380 box in a 300 Tdi chassis are in the same place as 200 Tdi mounting holes? Is it just the engine mounts that are in a different place?

In the same location Nick, the bellhousing is longer which moves the 300Tdi engine further forward, therefore new engine mounting position :D

if the gearbox was located differently then the gearlever mechanism would be different as well to make it fit in the same place as a 200Tdi vehicle :D

if the gearbox was located differently then the gearlever mechanism would be different as well to make it fit in the same place as a 200Tdi vehicle

They didn't change the gearstick, they changed the gearbox tunnel instead.

Propshafts are also different lengths.

(hence why you can fit a Disco TD5 Double cardon front prop to a 300Tdi or TD5 Defender, but not a 200Tdi or pre 200TDi)

300Tdi Engine and R380 box were moved forward by 2"... although I'm not sure of the relative position of the engine or gearbox mounts.

I know that you can put an R380 on the Lt77 chassis mounts by using the Lt77 gearbox mounts... but if fitting a 300Tdi this will mean the engine is 2" further back than standard which will necessitate the use of non-standard pipework, exhaust etc etc... but means you can use LT77 (aka 200tdi and pre 200Tdi) propshafts

I know Martin of web-rover fame used this method to fit his R380 and TD5.

Ian

as Ian suggests you can use LT77 chassis mounts for an R380 which is what i did when fitting a 300tdi to my 110.

i mounted the 300tdi the 2" further back,

both rad and bottom intercooler hoses were fine as were both oil cooler hoses, only lengthening needed was for the top intercooler hose.

exhaust needed and bit taken out.

may need to adjust the viscous fan to get it to clear the PAS box, i ditched mine for electric so dont know.

fan cowling becomes redundant

Just a side note really,

I have just used some 300tdi gearbox mounts in my series 1 lt77 installation, I managed to pull the stud out of the aluminium with minimum effort, on investigation I found the mount to be only drilled and tapped about 12mm, so modified the new new one by drilling down further (about 30mm) and tapping extra thread.

They were Britpart items.

Rog.