Salisbury Build Tolerance

ajh

It's not unknown for Salisbury axle tubes to bend through heavy impact, especially if overloaded.

However it's equally possible the bend (if it exists) is in the stub axle.

Before getting over excited you need a proper 4 wheel laser alignment check done, that will tell you if and where any error is located.

I know it's a Land Rover but tape measures and string are not that accurate.

If the axle itself is bent, they can be straightened, it's a job for an engineering works with a very big press, think large construction plant or steam engines or truck chassis builders. It's also possible to re-tube them if needed.

Finally Land Rover build tolerances are huge, you have to go a very long way out to cause problems.

The largest cause of handling issues (assuming everything else is in good order) are tyres.

Against all odds I seem to have located one locally; it needs to be re-assembled but that beats having to ship one. I'll take careful measurements of mine vs the other to determine if it is actually bent.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Snagger, yeah I was looking at using a D2 housing in the front; not the back. Originally I did want to get Richards to do a chassis with the watts linkage bracket but it was too unusual for them to do at least at the time given their workload.

Why would you want to put a D2 front axle on your Defender? Super expensive unit bearings. Expensive drive shafts. Horrible brakes.