more articulation

qwakers

hi guys

my disco 1 trayback was very much a budget build, but i coked the suspension right up hen o built it

at the time is was under the impression britpart lift springs where std spring rate but longer. how wrong was i. once fitted i got my lift but bugger all articulation. so i stuck std disco front springs on the back. i now have the lift and articulation i want at the back but need to sort the front.

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Spring_rates.html

having looked at that the closest i can find to give me the result i want was NTC3285. im concerned though comparing them to 572315 the load rate looks about right but the load (1st column) is much lower. i do 0 road miles...

any advice would be appreciated...

I want the same for mine, same poundage but actually longer, there are tons of springs out there sold as lift springs but they are the same length/number of coils but at a higher poundage giving the impression of achieving a lift.

I was looking at a set of Terrafirma light duty 2" lift springs that should in effect give me the +1" I want after being squashed by the winch and bumper but be long enough to give the articulation I desire, just my own thought train, but you having chopped all the weight off the back it might be a little bit trickier and possibly see the need for custom springs????

quire right the back is a little trickier but i have that sorted(for free) by sticking the standard front springs in the back. the back is now about perfect and will articulate as far as the radius arms and a frame will let it.

the front after much thought ive got a set of NTC3285 which i will fit after christmas. after all at £17.50 each theyre not exactly breaking the bank!

• 2 weeks later...

ok ive fitted em. not completely happy, i've lost about a inch or ride height and i think i can do better even using standard l/r springs.

however ride height isnt everything and i dont get any interference at max articulation, which is what worried me about the big tyres. so all in all a success

IMG-20150104-00313_zps775635e9.jpg
IMG-20150104-00314_zpsd8f5fba7.jpg
IMG-20150104-00312_zps8c5c4094.jpg
IMG-20150104-00311_zps3bde0b0e.jpg

Nice :D

I am having issues with spring rates as I will be adding a rear winch and a full internal roll cage so the weight will be upped by around 350Kgs :(

Will be looking to find longer flexy springs not the stiff horrid types I have seen thus far.

Tray back looks sweet, you did a good job on that ;)

I'm about to play with this one, without wheel scales I'm left guessing the front suspended weight... a large diesel straight 6 set so far back the crank pully is just about in line with the front axle.... then add in a series body instead.....

After alot of talking with some smart mates we reckon its pretty much the same weight as the disco normally so I'm going to try the disco standard springs

I was going to ask this in a new thread but you've covered spring rates for me.... thanks for the link

I just have one more Question what is the factory distance for the front axle between the axle spring seat and the chassis spring mount, so basicly what is the compressed length ( at ride height) of the factory disco spring ?