Have I found out my 110 was originally diesel?

Hi all

I transplanted my old Discovery engine into my '84 110 about 18 months ago and I never got round to finishing wiring up the glow plugs. I connected the thick brown and red wire to the glow plugs but this wasn't connected to anything as it didn't have +12v at any point in the ignition. It never needed them anyway and always started really well so it wasn't a problem. However, with the cold weather it started to become sluggish to start so I decided to fit the timing relay that I had saved from my Discovery when I scrapped it.

To cut a long story short, this thick brown and red cable was just sitting lose behind the dashboard so I connected it to the ignition switch and when you turn the key between the first position and engaging the starter the cold start light lit up on the dash and there was a +12v feed to the glow plugs. Result! Didn't need the timing relay after all!

But as this worked straight away without any fettling, could I be right in saying that this 110 was originally a diesel? When I bought it it had a Transit DI lump installed which had a cold start cable setup so didn't need glow plugs but I was lead to believe this was originally a V8. None of the Haynes diesel wiring diagrams seem to correspond to what I have so I am a bit stumped.

And before you ask, the chassis number doesn't seem to specify an engine type either.

Cheers

Well indeed it seems that it had a 12j engine after all. Funny though as i used these VIN calculators in the past and they didn't seem to be specific over the engine type, but trying it today listed it as a 12j.

Anyway, at least that was an easy job. Roll on the snow!