Dash wiring issues

dag019

I have a couple of problems with my dash wiring.

The first problem I have a am guessing is an earth fault. When I turn the headlights onto main beam the speedo dash light goes off and the glow plug light comes on. Does an earth fault sound right?

More worrying is that on my last journey the battery charge light came on. It was full brightness but it did not come on and stay on. It would occasionally go out but then come back on. Does this sound like it is likely to be related to the other problem or is this a new problem with the alternator?

I'm sure your first problem is an earth fault. I had very similar symptoms on my Stage One, plus I also noticed the fuel and temperature gauges read a little higher when the lights were on. I pulled the dash off three times and tightened the faulty connection (the little serrated nut holding the speedo bracket in place, which also pinches an earth terminal) but it never stayed tight. When that happened, it would earth back through the high beam light, which is disconcerting. It's possible yours is earthing slightly through the charge light?

That is great thank you, I will have a look at the earth securing points and possible do what I have done with the lights and add a new earth point direct to the battery. Hopefully, this will solve the charge light as well.

That is great thank you, I will have a look at the earth securing points and possible do what I have done with the lights and add a new earth point direct to the battery. Hopefully, this will solve the charge light as well.

As long as there is a good earth from battery to chassis and another from chassis to engine/gearbox, I think just a good earth on the bulkhead should be enough. Should...

I think you may have a short from the high beam wires (blue with white trace) to the speedo case. The short would produce positive voltage on both sides of the speedo bulb, causing it to dim, and would earth through the glow plug light (assuming it's not just the high beam warning light in the wrong hole). It would exlain why this only happens on high beam and not dipped, as the stalk switch is "downstream" of the dash switch and parallel to the instrument light switch (if you haven't already removed or bypassed that pointless one).

The alternator light could be related, as shorting the headlights will draw a lot of current and there is no fuse in the circuit. Alternatively, it could just be a bad connection or a loose mounting causing the belt to slip. If the charge light, which does not earth inside the dash but has one feed from the fuse box (switched side) and the other from the W terminal on the alternator (earthing through the alternator when the ignition is on but the alternator is not charging, but double positives which cancel each other out when the alternator is working), only comes on when the high beam is on, then that would tend to corroborate the short circuit theory.