First of all apologises, engine swop questions.

At last a start has been made to my 300tdi conversion.

We made up some engine mounts to suit with what came to hand, will rework these if necessary as access to rubber mounts is very limited.

Retained the na flywheel housing by cutting out the center to keep the 300 crank seal. Used the na fly wheel and clutch ( that's what I had) but the na starter casing is massive and doesn't fit and the 300 is banjaxed, will a 300 starter when fixed be ok with an na flywheel they did look very alike ?

Need to modify the down pipe and some othe hoses and pipes.

Ah more fun. :blink:

Just been on the intaweb and happened across ETC4989 fan cowl 4 cylinder, £1375.58 + 275.12 vat. :huh:

I checked a couple of sites and it's the same. :wacko:

I have one from my 2.5na (I think its the same part) that's just been removed. I better get under lock and key. :blink:

Just been on the intaweb and happened across ETC4989 fan cowl 4 cylinder, £1375.58 + 275.12 vat. :huh:

I checked a couple of sites and it's the same. :wacko:

I have one from my 2.5na (I think its the same part) that's just been removed. I better get under lock and key. :blink:

a ETC4989 on ebay in Britcar's shop page http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAN-COWL-4CYL-DEFENDER-ETC4989-/301533004469 which is the rearmost item 6 [nearest engine] part in http://lrcat.com/#31/4/52966

if your 300tdi is going to sit up & forward as on a factory built vehicle, this is the fan cowl http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=ESR2308

My engine is sitting back bolted to the LT77 with the 2.5 flywheel and housing (center removed to keep 300 oil seal, dowels also kept). I had hoped to be able to use my 2.5na starter as it was refurbed not to long ago but it's massive compared to the 300 which needs a refurb. :closedeyes:

I most likely will run an electric fan.

Just happened to come across ETC4989 and thought keep it and the plastic cowl also.#

I also seen a military 2.5na engine go for £255 and it needs a starter.

Yea it did hit the st/pump but now its bolted tight to the g/box its not hitting

The engine position looks right but we will know when we start it and go for gears with the engine running

I can see tbe pros and cons for both type of fans.

I found the bottom hose was in the way as well, but that could have been re routed / extended to clear.

I just used the normal hose with the extra length afforded by a short tube with a boss for a switch, probably a longer extension would have cleared it.

If its just to "get you running" ( which is what I did ), there was a suitable cone shaped one at the Halfords go faster centre

I then plumbed a proper 300TDI air box and hoses once I'd acquired all the bits

• 1 month later...

Hello there.

My conversion has went well, really pleased.

I have the old 2.5 na lying around out of an 1986 110 csw., about 110,000 miles engine, starter, inj pump alternator viscous fan (not sure if it working) fan shroud and gasket, air cleaner but no clutch parts or flywheel casing.

It smoked on start up and cleared after approximatly 500/600 meters. Always started well after a 10 second warm up and would run all day ok after that and idles very well. Don't know what the problem is my mate reckons it could be a bent con rod.

I would like to sell it but I am unsure how much to ask with the way it is and what is with it. It might only be scrap value.

I am in N. Ireland but I could pallet it for transit if anyone is intersted.