Transmission vibration

SPendrey

I've been reading all sort of suggestions for causes of 'transmission vibration' from handbrake adjusters falling off to diff failures etc. My symptoms were these...

• When reversing I would feel resistance coming on and off, like the handbrake was binding, Sometimes a little, sometime a full "clunk" as if a gear tooth or something had been skipped.
  • When driving forward all was fine, but if I shift to neutral then there was very noticeable vibration, couldn't pin where it was exactly, but enough to cause steering wobble.

So, I figured I'd start by removing one prop to identify if the fault was forward or rear of the TX box. In my mind, the handbrake was the culprit, I was expecting to see a return spring broken or something like that... so I removed the rear prop first, and then took a short drive just to see if anything changed. The symptoms were there, just less so.

Next step then was to remove the handbrake drum and see what fell out. I followed one of Les's threads and was expecting the screw that holds the drum to be a pig. It could be undone by finger! Then I expected the flange nut to be tight as anything, the socket driver's weight alone made it move!! That's not right.

After cleaning up a little (no real gunk in there, but as I was in I cleaned) I tightened it all back up and the vibration is gone! Glad this wasn't a big issue in the end, if only all the problems I have were so simply resolved!

post-11857-0-22729000-1423134687_thumb.jpg

post-11857-0-01703600-1423134689_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, the vibration is back, and I've no doubt it'll be that nut again. So, I'll replace the nyloc nut to ensure a good 'grip', but my question to all is whether there's any issue with using threadlock too? I know the nut shouldn't come undone, but wouldn't threadlock be a belt and braces approach?

Thanks,

Scott

Well yes, I took it off to remove the rear prop, and it is a GKN one and appears to be in good shape. And, with that nut clearly loose, once tightened all was good for a while. What I'm thinking it that the nyloc part of that nut is knackered.